One of the new girls is missin' some feathers. Worry or not?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ScottyHOMEy, Jun 21, 2011.

1. ScottyHOMEy

ScottyHOMEy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Waldo County, Maine
    Just got my first ever mail-order chicks. Ten layers, fifteen Cornish Rocks.

Hatched last Friday (this bein' Tuesday). Layers are all fine. Noticed last evenin' that one of the meat birds had a big pink spot under her tail. Gave a look, and at the time it could have been as simple as her havin' dumped her rump into the waterer. Today, though, the spot is dry and larger. She's one of the larger, better thrivin' of the bunch, and none of 'em show any sign of peckin' that might be causing this.

If still present tomorrow, I'm thinkin about maybe slappin' a little Neosporin over the area

Any thoughts about what it might be or how to address it?

2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    She might have had some poo stuck to her butt that got picked by the other chicks. Pasty butt can rip off a fair amount of down. Be careful of any skin showing, those chicks can really pick. I have noticed mine getting some bare patches when they start to feather and have growth spurts.

ETA: If she is the fastest growing of the meaties, it's probably just her body growing faster than the feathers and fluff can cover.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by