One of the new P.O.L. RIR pullets.............

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Farm_Maven, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    Hopped OUT of the quarantine pen and onto the porch when I had the top open yesterday offering them a new treat. It's a darn good thing she squatted (yay!) because otherwise I probably wouldn't have been able to catch her. They are quite the flighty things. They are also wary of taking treats from me. Once I get one caught tho, she settles right down, so I don't think they'll be hard to spoil rotten, lol.

2. Hiram

Hiram Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    I raise RIRs. If you wanted a chicken as a pet, this is the wrong breed. They want you to feed them treats. They want to follow you around. They want to act all lovey dovey but the next minute they'll run off not wanting anything to do with you. They are work chickens if you ask me. I like them because they handle preds really well and the lay great.

3. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    Hunny, these are not my first chickens! I have a total of 20 after getting these 4. Sure, RIR's are not the friendliest breed there is. But the two RIR girls I raised from day-olds will hop up on my shoulder for a piggy back ride, and don't even get me started on my BR hen, she's a lush, lol. These new girls were from the 4-H Poultry Chain auction, and likely didn't get handled much because the young man that raised them knew they would go to auction.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by