One of these things is not like the other...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Jun 3, 2008.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    So my four week+ old chicks are starting to develope combs. Of the two mille fluers, one has a pale comb and the other a bright red/orange comb. Same deal on the buff orps. One has a noticably redder comb than the other two.
    Does this mean I have little roos growing here?

(My camera is dead or I'd post you some pics...)

2. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

Does sound suspicious, thanks for putting that Sesame Street song in my head [​IMG]

3. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    You're welcome. [​IMG]
    Here's another oldie, but goodie...

"These are the people in your neighborhood, in your neighborhood, in your neeeiiighhhhboooorhooooood.... Yes, these are the people in your neighborhood. The people that you meet each day!"

This Sesame Street moment has been brought to you by the letter C and the number 7.

We now return to your regularly scheduled programming...

Do I have boy chickens growing here? I don't need boy chickens!!! And I really like the little mille fleur too. [​IMG]

4. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Who'd you get your mille fleur from?
    Don't you love those feathered feet? Looks like they're walking in snowshoes!

5. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I got two as part of a Mypetchicken order. They were freebies tossed in as an apology because of a MPC glitch.
    They are adorable! I love the little fluffy feet. They make me think of pantaloons! One of them is still pretty skittish, but the other one (the one with the red comb) comes up and sits in my lap and wants loving. It's very affectionate. I'm hoping it turns out to be a girl. I don't need roosters! Eek!

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I would be a little suspicious of ANY of them developing combs at 4 weeks old.

I have some "babies" that are about 11 weeks old, and they hardly have bumps on their heads at all...... (they're Araucana)

7. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Hmmm... maybe I'm calling it the wrong thing. They have a ridge coming up on their head/face. It runs between their eyes and down towards their beak. It's still really tiny. It's just a different texture than everything else. It's definitely not feathers or fuzz. Only the mille fleurs and buff orpingtons have it right now. You hardly notice it on some of them because it's the same color as the feathers and face. It's just these two that have a dramatically different color to it.

Ack! Perhaps it's some wierd mutant chicken disease that causes horrible facial disfiguration. All the other chickens will mock them and they will grow up to be hermit chicken philosophers living in huts. Ack!!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    You should post pics [​IMG]

9. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Yup. We always need pics to assist with the diagnosis [​IMG]

10. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    My camera died about a week ago and I haven't had a chance to get it fixed. [​IMG]

Horrible timing as I have a coop full of chicks that are stinking adorable and growing like weeds!

I looked again when I put them to bed and they definitely have something there. The two mille fleurs fell asleep in my lap so I got a good look. It starts a bit above their eyes and runs right down the middle to the top of their beak. One is beige and the other one's is reddish orange. At the moment they are maybe 1/32" tall. It's more of a bumpy ridge.

TWO of the buffs have it. The friendly one does not. None of the EEs has the ridge, nor do the silkies, polish, or the welsummers. I don't think the wyandottes do, but they are pretty hard to get to sit still. [​IMG]

If ever I get the camera fixed I'll post pics. Of course, they will be crowing or laying eggs by then so I'll know already. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by