One of these things is not like the other

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by klt1975, Sep 24, 2012.

1. klt1975

klt1975 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2012
    My kids' silkies were both hatched April 2nd and ordered from My Pet Chicken. Both are supposed to be girls but look very different. I've heard they are difficult to sex but is there ANY chance these are both females?

Sweetie Pie & Cleo
    [​IMG]

Cleo
    [​IMG]

Cleo
    [​IMG]

Sweetie Pie
    [​IMG]

Sweetie Pie
    [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Karen

2. cluckcluck3499

cluckcluck3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2012
    Tennessee
    no expert but by the waddles on cleo, id say she is a he........

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    cleo is a cockerel all the way

4. cluckcluck3499

cluckcluck3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2012
    Tennessee
    a very pretty roo btw.... i wish i had silkies

5. klt1975

Sep 24, 2012
    uh oh

Thanks everyone. I was a little afraid of that. I'm a bit fond of that one. Cleo ( name change pending lol ) runs over to me when he sees me and follows me around until I pick him up. He's kind of my buddy.

Do bantam silkies crow as loudly as other roosters? I don't think my neighbors to one side would care. They have 6 or 7 hens themselves. Neighbor behind us talked me before about his late wife's hens and rooster. I rarely see the neighbors to the other side. I hope this works out okay.

6. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Cleo sure is a handsome boy! i hope you can keep him. As for crowing, ite really depends on the individual, some crow often, some not as much. The bantams have a different timbre to the crow--one of my friends has a Sebright and he sounds like a rusty hinge on a screen door. I don't think its as annoying as the deep throaty crow of a big boy, but thats just me.

When we hatched a roo, I told our neighbor and asked if he would let me know if he was irritated before it became a problem. He paused and was 'hmmm, you have a rooster...' so I didn't expect him to last long. I also put soundboard up in the henhouse to muffle the noise first thing the the morning. I called the neighbor and checked back months later to check his disposition and he told me he found the crowing charming and it reminded him of growing up on a farm. I suspect if you take basic steps to mitigate noise first thing in the morning and are up front with the neighbor and let them know they can talk to you about their reactions it will go smoothly.

7. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I couldn't have said it better myself. I think bantam crowing is definitely less annoying.

And, talking to the neighbors beforehand, letting them know you WANT to know if it's annoying them will help mitigate negative feelings.

8. klt1975

Sep 24, 2012
    ROFL!!!!!! I guess Cleo objected to being called a boy. Kept going in the nesting box and shuffling our golf ball around. I couldn't figure out why...

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by