One of those eggs ...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sjisty, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    So, I'm candling my eggs in the incubator. This was not a good batch. They came through the mail and probably got mishandled, plus I had wild temperature fluctuations at the beginning and my turner quit working. On top of everything else, I forgot to write down the date I set them! What else could go wrong? Needless to say, most didn't develop. Some had blood rings. We come to day #who knows - I'm candling the last four eggs. The rest long since went in the garbage. One egg is dark inside with no movement. I tap it with my fingernail and it has that "sound" that you just know means it's a dead 'un. Since tomorrow was garbage day, I just put it back in the incubator and figured it would go out with the garbage.

Well, tomorrow came (yesterday). I'm cooking breakfast and I hear a PEEP PEEP PEEP, loud and strong. I run to the incubator and welcome little "Solo" to the world!

Moral of the story - When in doubt, don't throw out!

[​IMG]

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    What a story! And congrats!

3. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Wow! Thanks for sharing! And what a cute name. 'Solo'.
    Congrats! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  4. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Aw, what a cutie [​IMG] Congrats! Thank you for sharing your story with us [​IMG]

5. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    What a great story!! I've got a late egg, but I'm giving it a few more days...hope the outcome is as good as yours! [​IMG]

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    YAH!!! [​IMG] looks like a brahma chick!

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I am with you... I had something similar on day 23 when I was going to take the eggs left and toss them but I hadn't turned off the incubator yet. I thought I would candle the eggs first so I took them out and when I went to candle one it started peeping I turned the egg over and there was a little hole on the bottom that I couldn't see when it was in the incubator. I picked off the shell around the same line the chick would normally zip and placed the egg in a moist paper towel and a little while later it hatched. I think we had miracles. I was so happy when it hatched more or less unassisted.

8. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Quote:Of course - is there any other kind? She/he's a dark Brahma.

9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Of course - is there any other kind? She/he's a dark Brahma.

hehe wasn't sure but sure looks just like mine as day olds! pretty!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by