one of THOSE nights....

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by klf73, Jul 4, 2011.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I decide to treat my 15 yo, her bf, my 13yo son and my 11yo niece to the drive in tonight. I take money from my bank envelope from the checks I cashed, which by the way went straight home and got put away so no one but me knew where it was. I take two $50 because I thought we could splurge and I missed dinner. I pay with one $50 bill on the way in, she gives me change. I park and go to the concession to see if there was any food yet. I walk by an elderly man who says something to me but I didn't quite get what he said. I thought he said I dropped my other fifty, which was in my pocket, then he says I gave them a fake $50 [​IMG] . I said no way. They bring me a bill that is clearly fake and silly me takes it to look at it [​IMG] . Doesn't look or feel real. Now the slim chance I DID hand it to her would mean it came from the bank but I thought maybe someone screwed up at the drive in and took a fake one and used this to "get their money". I was the first customer there so they would have already had to have it. So I call the police because I have no idea what to do.

police show up, confiscate bill, I write report as do they. I have two options, give them back the $17 change and leave sans my $50 when the kids were already half into the first movie(yes, took a long time for them to get there) or give them my other $50 and keep the change and stay. Dh wanted me to leave but I felt bad for the kids.

I am to contact the officer tomorrow and she is going to help me try to get my $50 back from the bank, no idea how this will work, something tells me I just got screwed out of $50. If the bank doesn't say they have had ANY issues and will not reimburse me then we will NEVER go back to that place EVER......I still think they switched it [​IMG]

so, I watch the second half of cars 2 and wait for the movie I went to see in the first place which was Super 8. So my luck today goes....a nice fog rolled in [​IMG]

yep, out $83 and saw part of a movie I will own because my little ones love cars [​IMG] and never saw the one I really went to see

*sigh* what a night

2. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:Whew![​IMG]

3. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    I have heard this happen to someone else, but he actually found out it was a fake $100 bill when he got to another bank. He had gotten money from the atm machine at his bank, and of course he leaves thinking that the bills are real. Then he goes to his other bank to try to deposit the money. When the teller at the other bank takes a look at the money she tells him it's fake and he doesn't know what to do either. I don't know how the story ended but it seems ludicrous that that bank (a big national one, too) would have fake money and not know it. Sorry that this happened to you!

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    A horrible way to spend the evening!

5. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it is the law that the bank who gave you the 50 has to give you back the 50

6. greeneggsandham

greeneggsandham Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Putnam,CT
    Quote:Something sounds a little strange. I haven't been to any place in the last few years that hasn't checked bills with one of those pens. Why did they not check a $50?

7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Yeah that was my point [​IMG]

8. greeneggsandham

greeneggsandham Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Putnam,CT
    Quote:Who was the old man that approached you? Did he see you give the girl the 50?

9. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:Who was the old man that approached you? Did he see you give the girl the 50?

the old man is the owner, and no, he is handicapped and no one else was there when I gave her the $50. anyone else was inside across the parking lot at the concession stand. Dh and I have been discussing it and I think it was the girl, not the drive in....this old guy has been there for a long time. she just works there and could care less about their reputation....

10. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    I got bad news for you kiddo.

You got screwed out of $50. Start the grieving process now because you're only gonna get madder. The bank has - ready? NO OBLIGATION to you to replace money that you left the bank with. Once it leaves their building they assume you changed the bill to a fake and they will not replace it.

I know several people that this happened to and of course the bank was in the wrong. I know one woman who lost several hundred dollars this way. Banks are discovering that when they find bogus bills if they report them to the police they lose the money. They put the money back in circulation then you lose the money...... [​IMG] [​IMG]

It is most likely that some one at the concession stand pulled the switch, but if you can't prove that, you're out $50 with no recourse.

I am sorry, trust me on this one, getting shafted sucks royally.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by