One of Those Sad yet Tender Moments I just had to share!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Evermore Ranch, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Evermore Ranch

Evermore Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    NW Alabama
    I am still up because eggs have hatched today and waiting to get everyone settled into the brooder before i go to sleep. Well after getting them moved there are 2 that are very weak so i stay awake to keep an eye on them. With the brooder in the livingroom the dogs are quite used to babies and often look in to check on them. Well Bruiser, my pit mix that loves babies of all kind, was laying next to brooder andstarted whining so i go check and we had lost a baby, I removed the poor chick from the brooder and placed in a box and went to wash my hands. While I am in the other room Bruiser starts howling the saddest howl i think i have ever heard. I come back in the room to see what is going on and he has opened the box and you can tell he kissed the baby. I ask whats wrong and he looks at the lost chick and howls again. Now he and Doobie (one of the Danes) are both laying by brooder and take turns every few minutes getting up to look in from the top.

[​IMG]

2. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Just goes to show how caring every animal can be..... [​IMG] to you and the dogs...... sorry about your little chicks [​IMG]

3. Evermore Ranch

Evermore Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    NW Alabama
    he has always helped me care for babies of all kids with the rescue work we do, but never seen him get this upset over a loss. It was so sweet and sad. We rescued him as a pup and he eventually had to have one of his hind legs removed due to cancer, but he is a good ol boy! I would not take a thing for him!!!

4. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Quote:it makes him even more special.....

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    how sad and sweet at the same time

6. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    What an amazing little guy he is! The world needs more just like him. Give him a huge hug for me.

I have a hatch warning dog - my shih tzu, Issac (known as Sic Puppy) will bark when a chick starts to hatch. It's funny, I never thought of him as working dog, but now....lol

7. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    [​IMG] Awww. This is not the way to start my day!

8. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    Awww, That is so sweet! He is such a good dog![​IMG]
    I guess he caught the chicken fever from you. I wish I had a dog like him!

9. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Quote:I believe this with all my heart too. What a sweet bunch of babies you have. [​IMG] I'm sorry about the little chickies. [​IMG]

10. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

[​IMG] *sniffles*

Dogs... [​IMG]

Sorry about your baby chick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by