One of those "what in the world eggs"

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rachaelakers, Jan 8, 2013.

1. rachaelakers

rachaelakers Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    This morning I went out to let the girls out of their coop and check for eggs and I saw that they had laid two. So I picked the first one up and it looked fine. The second one had a huge white splotch on it and I thought to myself well thats interesting. Anyhow I went on and was melting the ice in their water with both eggs in one hand and the one with the white mark broke. I figure it just didnt form right. But I didnt know if anyone had ever seen this before?

2. mrsc1951

mrsc1951 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Largo, Florida
    Sometimes when pullets are just getting into the laying cycle wierd things can happen. What you found is an example. There can also be eggs laid with no shell or just a sort of rubbery membrane around the egg. It just takes them a little while to get all the kinks out of their system. Make sure your girls have access to extra calcium. I keep out oyster shell calcium and also save their egg shells, bake them a bit, crush them up and give them back to them mixed in with the oyster shell.

3. rachaelakers

rachaelakers Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    I gave them some egg shells this morning after it happened. I figured it had something to do with calcium. It was very odd though. Probably the size of a half dollar was white. I threw it over the fence after I opened it and gave them the insides. I probably should have taken a picture. I might go grab it. (over the river and through the woods and over a barbed wire fence I shall go) Ha! I am new to this and all three of my hens should be around 2 years old now.... They had stopped laying for quite some time i guess due to stress when I moved them here, and weather changing and molt. But they just recently started laying again. I didnt buy chicks. I got full grown hens. Cause I just wanted eggs. Also... Odd question. But my girls dont go back to the coop when it gets dark out. They did for the last few months. Now I keep finding them at my back door as soon as the sun goes down. So I end up going to there and getting them to follow me to the coop... Then I put them up. They had been really good about going up there and going to bed. But not anymore.

4. yinzerchick

yinzerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    E.Texas
    You might need to re-train them. You'll have to lock them in the coop for a day or two. That's my best guess anyhow, hope someone else comes along and can help more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by