One of three new transplants still not laying !

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Irrintzina, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Irrintzina

Irrintzina Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2010
    Salt Lake City
    I have one of three chickens tha came with a newly aquired chicken tractor that is still not laying after a month at new home.
    Should I be worried? Call and send her back? Any Ideas?

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Do you see feathers everywhere? If so, they are molting and will not lay until they get their new feathers. If not, they just may not be old enough to lay. Do you know how old they are?

3. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I bought an adult hen a few months ago. About a week after I got her, she laid an egg, and then another one a couple days after that. Then, she took a month off, and laid eggs every other day for a month. She's now gone 10 days without laying; I am thinking maybe she's started to molt.

If your chicken hasn't laid yet, I would guess she's either not old enough, or possibly molting. When a chicken is moved, they'll lay the eggs they had "in the works", but it is stressful, and that can put them off laying for a month sometimes.

4. Irrintzina

Irrintzina Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2010
    Salt Lake City
    Her feathers are beautiful. I was told that they were all the same age of 10 to 12 months.
    Supposedly she had been a great layer at her prior home. She eats well, and seems to have not a worry on her mind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by