One off extremely aggressive cockeral behavior?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dmbnj, Nov 3, 2014.

1. dmbnj

dmbnj Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2014
    New Jersey
    I have a cockerel named Lenny that is about 5.5 months old. He is usually a bit standoffish but agreeable. He will approach us when we come to visit the coop/run (kids, adults in any combination). He lets the kids pick him up, and is not averse to being petted or held. Yesterday I went in to collect eggs with my 9 y/o daughter. It was cold, so I didn't want to change into my chicken crocs from the beige colored imitation Ugg boots I was wearing. He immediately attacked my boots when I entered the run and would NOT back off no matter how many times I challenged him. I collected the eggs, and went after him every time he challenged me. I was ready to list him on craigslist or take him to be dispatched to freezer camp. Today I went to collect eggs, and clean the coop. I switched to the crocs before I went in and he was behaving like he usually does. I was in the coop and he joined the girls to come see to see what I was doing. He behaved like he normally does, and accepted the petting that I usually dole out equally to all the chickens. He never attacked me, just the boots, and he wouldn't back down, even when he got a kick to the chest. Did he really see the boots as that big of a threat?

2. LadyKjo

LadyKjo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2014
    Eau Claire, Michigan
    I'm new to all this chicken stuff, but maybe the "furry" look of the Ugg type boots made him think your feet were predators like a raccoon, cat or dog. Feet and legs also usually look much bigger in those types of boots, so he may just be reacting to protect his flock, especially if he normally is calm around you. Just my thoughts on the matter, not that they matter much :)

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Be careful with this boy! He may be fine, or decide to tell you what to wear. Keep moving him around away from you; not chasing, but just walk through him as you interact with the birds. Don't accept any posturing from him. Wear those boots! You could place the furry boots out there for him to acclimate to, but he's aware of you as an individual regardless of your attire. My good cockrels ignore what I'm wearing, and move away from strange humans. The jerks find all sorts of reasons to attack. Mary

4. dmbnj

May 18, 2014
    New Jersey
    I don't want chicken poop on my shoes that I wear inside/outside the house, hence the chicken shoes. Both my kids and myself have a pair of cheap knock-off crocs for this purpose, as they are easy to clean and help with biosecurity. He's never been a jerk before yesterday, but I will keep an eye on him as he is likely to get worse as he matures. He has always been tagged as the one to go if he got to annoying, or aggressive. I have another sweet boy (big gentle giant Blue Cochin) who was always designated as my rooster to keep, he's the beta cockerel. So far the girls keep them inline, but I will not hesitate to get rid of Lenny.

5. dmbnj

May 18, 2014
    New Jersey
    Until yesterday, he never even looked at me funny. Never once did I get any posturing, or puffing up. Any one of us can come in and pick up a hen and he never even looks at us funny.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by