1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

One or two.... and who did it?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cejunes, Aug 4, 2010.

1. cejunes

cejunes Songster

Jul 14, 2010
    Post Falls, ID
    I have an older hen that lays brown eggs and I'm not sure if one of my pullets has started laying. I have posted pics of the eggs side by side. Help me out if you can, do I have one brown egg layer or two? I have not picked up two brown eggs in the same day so I'm not sure. Can eggs color change that much with a single hen?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Normally, a color change is lighter in progression. Not light, darker, lighter, darker. They get lighter as time goes on.

I suspect you have another brown egg layer, and those four eggs came from 2 different pullets.

3. cejunes

cejunes Songster

Jul 14, 2010
    Post Falls, ID
    Now I have to figure out which one of my girls started laying. I think it's my white wyandotte as she is the oldest pullet. I also have two cuckoo maran pullets, a barnevelder pullet and two cochin bantam pullets. The lighter brown eggs are coming from one that has been laying for a while and she's a RIR cross.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: