one out of three chickens just won't start laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Seattle, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Seattle

Seattle New Egg

Oct 31, 2013
    We have two Australorps and one buff Orpington that are almost 7 months old. The Orpington and one of the Australorps have been laying regularly for two months and we consistently get 2 eggs a day. The other Australorp doesn't lay at all. Maybe 2 or 3 weeks after the first two started laying, we found 2 eggs (one or two days apart) with no shells. We thought that that was going to be the start of the third chicken laying, but since then there's nothing. Does anyone have a suggestion for what's going on or what to do?

Thanks.

2. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    Every chicken is different. I had a banty hen start laying a month and a half before her fellows of the same breed. You may want to check that she isn't eggbound, but beyond that, just continue being patient.

3. Seattle

Seattle New Egg

Oct 31, 2013
    Thanks, PrairieChickens. I hadn't even heard of "egg bound", but I see that there is some good information on this site.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    She might just be a slow developer. She will lay when her body is ready and mature enough to lay. Does she have the ability to hide eggs? Some girls are sneaky and will have a hidden egg stash.

5. Seattle

Seattle New Egg

Oct 31, 2013
    Thanks for the suggestion, Happy Chooks. No, I don't think she really has any place she can hide them. My wife felt her this morning to see whether she could feel an egg in there blocking laying, but couldn't feel anything. It's been such a long time since the others started laying and I think she was the one who laid the two eggs without shells (which I interpreted as a sign that she was about to start laying normal eggs), so I started to wonder whether she would just never lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by