One panting out of 8 hens, it's 66F outside

Jan 4, 2021
Ada, Oklahoma
I try to observe all my hens daily when I feed and water them. One RIR while brooding is picking up wood shavings in the box and placing them on her back. The others try to see what one hen is doing if that hen is sitting too long in the box. I get 6 eggs most days, then 5 then back to 6 like one of them takes a break. This afternoon, I noticed a maran cleaning itself and panting with open beak and shaking its head. None of the others have exhibited the same behavior. Should I be concerned? I give them water with apple cider most of the time, but for about 2 days now I just gave them plain water. Tomorrow I will give them water with apple cider. I gave them treats today, some crushed corn chips and fries from a Mexican restaurant. I always give them table scraps as treats almost daily. Thank you for your comments!

I'll try to create a video on YouTube so I can post it here. Today I checked on them again as I fed and watered and saw that some ladies are jerking their heads, still good appetite and running around, drinking water, but they also have black lesions on their combs and wattles, which a few days ago looked like dots and so I dismissed as frost bite left-over from the bad winter we got 2 weeks ago. Here in Okla, we don't get that kind of winter. My research showed that it can be fowl pox and transmitted by mosquitoes that bit other chickens with the disease. How can I save my flock? Many thanks for your help!

IF it's fowl pox it usually runs it's course in a few weeks with no real issues. If it's wet pox it's more problematic, but that is less common (that has lesions in the mouth and throat). There is no treatment for pox other than supportive care, it's a virus and it just runs it's course. Pictures might help to see if it's actually pox, or something else.

Oh I really hope it's not fowl pox. But someone in my fb group said the disease just went through her area before the big snow. I'll try to get a photo, it's not easy when you do it alone-- might get to make a short youtube video instead.

Back
Top Bottom