One Peep, Now What?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DiamondB, Aug 7, 2010.

1. DiamondB

DiamondB New Egg

Jul 9, 2010
    Hi, I have quickly browsed to see if answered, but I let a broody hen sit on some eggs. Last night one hatched! NOW WHAT? We wanted to let her "mother". My delima is that we didn't think about this, she is up in a box about 3 feet off the ground. Not good for a baby to get in and out of for water and food and still be with mom.
    Any suggestions please respond ASAP.

Rachelle
    Reminder to self - think ahead!

2. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    We built a ramp to ours. [​IMG] Don't have any Super quick suggestions other then getting a small dog house type shelter and put them on the ground, then put her, the chick and the eggs in there. she should go strait back to setting on her eggs. [​IMG]

EDIT: I am not sure if you have heard of them, but have you ever heard of the dog igloos? they are like big plasic igloo looking dog houses. we used one of those, and that would be perfect for the chicks and mom to get in at night time atleast.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  3. DiamondB

DiamondB New Egg

Jul 9, 2010
    good idea, we have a large dog kennel, not an igloo but I will see about setting that up. Next question, away from everyone else or in same area. Our chicken house is a horse stall 12'x14' area.
    Thanks!

4. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    It's best to seperate from all the other chickens. This year I had my older chickens kill 2 babies and injure one badly. [​IMG]
    better safe than sorry!
    Good luck with your babies. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by