One problem and one strange question!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SamanthaBrooke, Feb 21, 2013.

1. SamanthaBrooke

SamanthaBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Jefferson, GA
    Okay, well most of my babies have turned really friendly and run to my hand when I enter the brooder and all climb into my hand looking for goodies.

Here is my problem, they are now obsessed with me(which I love!!) and are trying to fly to the top of the brooder, one has succeeded in doing so, I use just a cardboard brooder so I am unsure what I can put over top of it to keep them in and still resist more fire hazard.

Now my strange question, I swear one of my babies was trying to 'Mate' to my hand this morning, it was doing to little dance of rocking side to side with its little tail pointed down, is this possible in a 3 week old chick? I wouldn't think they would have any sort of mature drive like that, maybe it was just being silly? I don't know but am curious.

Thank you for any advice you may have regarding the escapees.

2. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    That's great that your girls are so friendly! My main coop flock (13 hens and a rooster) follow me around like dogs-my DH and friends think it's hysterical! Add my 4 ducks to the parade and it is quite a sight.

I also used a "cardboard breeder box" for my last bunch of chicks and before I knew it, they were roosting on the sides and on various places in the garage-like my DH's motorcycle and toolbench! My reccomendation is to put chicken wire over the top, it keeps them in without any additional fire hazard and still allows for fresh air.

As for the "mating" question-not sure what that's all about! Crazy chick behavior?

3. Back2MyRoots

Back2MyRoots Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Auburn, Alabama
    We cut a piece of rabbit wire to fit over our brooders and that keeps everyone in place. :) Chicken wire would work too. Anything that will allow ventilation will work.

As for the "mating" behavior, I'd just chalk it up to crazy chicklet antics. Though It's possible it's a cockerel that is showing off/asserting dominance. At three weeks, he could be starting to strut a little I suppose...........[​IMG]

4. MsChickenMomma

MsChickenMomma Overrun With Chickens

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    Aww that's so cute! Just curious, how did you get your chicks to be so sweet? I ordered a May shipment of 10 chicks, and I'm really hoping they will turn out sweet like that!

5. SamanthaBrooke

SamanthaBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Jefferson, GA
    Thank you, I think I have lots of chicken wire in the barn I'll have my husband cut out a piece for me.
    It must have been just really weird chick behavior, I don't know how many of each sex I have, that's why I got 30 of them, hoping to get 10 hens because I only need one or two really good looking roosters.

I wish I would have taken a video because it was cracking me up.

MsChickenMomma, my trick was to handle each of them every day and handle their wings and feet and at 3 weeks I started feeding them treats out of my palm like purred carrots and chopped meal worms(Detach the head to avoid them chewing through the chicks crop as the meal worms usually still move around a little after being chopped), they love these treats and you just lower your hand into the brooder and wait until they figure out what you have then slowly over the next few days you will lift one out that has jumped on your hand then praise them by lowering your hand back into the brooder, don't talk loudly as their ears are really sensitive and will send them running, I whisper to mine, they really appreciate it.

6. MsChickenMomma

MsChickenMomma Overrun With Chickens

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    Okay thank you for the tips! I haven't raised chicks before. I got my chickens when they were already adults, and the only chicks I've had have been ones that my hens hatched, so I couldn't even touch them. (over protective mommy's) I never knew chicks ears were sensitive. That's a good thing to know!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by