ONE quick question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ingv8700, Feb 19, 2009.

1. ingv8700

ingv8700 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2008
    Pequot Lakes, MN
    Ok I have a polish hen and we want her to hatch some eggs for us and we are just leaving her eggs in the bucket so that she can hatch them out. but here is my question will she sit on them when she gets enough eggs? or will she just sit on them when they are fertile?? I am hopeing some of them are going to be fertile so we can have some more chicks. but i have noticed that she has not been sitting on them since we have started letting her keep her eggs. Hope someone can help me

2. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

She has no clue about them being fertile or not. A hen will try to hatch golf balls if she's broody, and she'll go broody without a rooster to be seen for miles.

If she's getting off the eggs that much, she's not really broody, or at least, not broody enough. ...you can leave them there and see, but I'd be dating the eggs so if she really settles in to brood, you can leave her only the latest ones. Not sure how many she can sit on well, but she'll be stubborn about not wanting to leave the nest, and after a point, she'll stop laying and just SET.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  3. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Search broody. She will only sit on eggs and hatch them when she becomes broody.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2009
  4. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by