One rescue chicken

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by NeeCee51, Aug 20, 2013.

1. NeeCee51

NeeCee51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2013
    I rescued a chicken from the neighbor due to the fact he got new chickens and they tried to peck her to death. I want to get her some "buddies" but am not sure how to go about doing it. I thought if I got chicks as they got bigger it would be easier to get them to play nice. She had a bad leg and limps, I think that's why the other chickens pecked her. I have had her out to free range and she wanted to go over to the neighbors but the rooster chased her home. The hens have been over when she's out but they just walk around with her. She needs some buddies so if you all have any ideas please let me know, Thanks, NeeCee

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  3. NeeCee51

Aug 12, 2013
    Thanks Sumi. The article is great. I'm sure Becky"my chicken" is in good health. the only thing is her right leg which is crippled. I like the BYC member that put the baby chicks in a pen within the current one so they can get to know each other. Becky is so laid back and I think lonely she would welcome them. Thanks for your help..

4. NeeCee51

Aug 12, 2013
    Well yesterday the neighbors rooster attacked Becky and I found her under a small trailer in the back yard. I keep an eye on her due to chicken hawks in the area but my husband was mowing the lawn and thought she was safe since she's not pleased with the noise the mower makes. I looked out the window and seen her water dish was tipped over and knew right away something was wrong. I ran out there, called her name which she usually responds to and after looking in places she usually hides I found her under the trailer very bloody and bald on her head. She didn't have much of a comb when I got her, now she has even less. I took her to the house, cuddled and talked to her. She finally opened her eyes and started making little chicken noises. I am so mad at that rooster but I guess it's their nature. Becky is recovering nicely and is begging for treats again. We are making a chicken tractor this weekend so she will be safe...

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Poor thing! In their nature or not, injuring hens is unacceptable and if that was my rooster... I'm glad to hear she's doing better though.

6. NeeCee51

Aug 12, 2013
    Thanks Sumi. She is still bruised but doing well. It's crazy to get so attached to a chicken...

7. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    Becky definitely needs a cage to keep her safe. Good luck. Keep us updated.

8. NeeCee51

Aug 12, 2013
    We are making her a chicken tractor this weekend. She loves to free range. Thanks for the message, NeeCee

9. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Aw, bless her heart. She's lucky to have found someone willing to do so much for her.

10. NeeCee51

Aug 12, 2013
    Thanks theoldchick, I would never have thought I could get so attached to "a chicken". They have such personalities. NeeCee51

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by