One RIR is not like the others; any ideas??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lesler5, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Lesler5

Lesler5 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2011
    Hi, I bought four day old RIR chicks in May. One is a cockerel and seems to look RIR, I think. Burgundy red body, now getting greenish hackles and tail feathers coming in deep shiny green, but there is also bit of white. One pullet is darker then the other two and has tiny black bars on her feathers if you look closely. She also has black/green tail feathers. I also noticed that in the sun, she has a greenish sheen to her, much like my Australorp. I bought these from a heritage breeder, but is it possible she is a mix? Both her and the roo looked different as day olds. They were yellowish with brown stripe down back (like chipmunk). The other RIR were solid color but for tiny spot on head. Any ideas appreciated. I'm keeping them anyway, just curious about what she might be

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    a picture would help, [​IMG]

3. Luke0987654321

Luke0987654321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Spain
    Some rir's come in diferent tones of brown, maye there is some other breed in there :S pic's would help.

luke.

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Rhode Island Reds should never come Brown, hence the name Rhode Island Red and not Rhode Island Brown.

Chris

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Could you get pictures of them?
    As you describe them I would say that they are not true Rhode Island Reds.

Chris

6. Lesler5

Sep 22, 2011
    Yes pictures would be useful I'm sure! I will get some tomorrow and try to post them. Thanks for the replies so far

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

As adults, true RIR do not have white feathers anywhere, BTW

8. Lesler5

Sep 22, 2011
    I'm new to the chicken scene, but even with my limited knowledge I was quite sure I shouldn't see white. Ditto with the green sheen all over the hen too. I am really questioning the breeder I got them from...I also bought 4 straight run barred rocks. One of those was black Australorp! Other 3 roosters, although I was sure 2 were hens until they just started crowing. Just got 6 more pullets, but from different breeder this time

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by