One RIR that wont lay...just pretends!!! GRRRRRR!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenlickin8, Sep 7, 2008.

1. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    I have 8 hens, 2 of which are RIR. ALL of my girls are laying except Miss RhoDEE! The RIRs are the same age (25 weeks now). One has been laying since she was 20 weeks old and the other one is just pretending to lay! She goes in the nest box, sits for awhile and then gets up and leaves. She has been doing this for 3 or 4 weeks now. What gives?? Shouldn't she be laying by now? Is she a dud?

Here she is........
    [​IMG]

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    They don't all mature at the same time, just give her another couple of weeks.

Late bloomer maybe?

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Glad I'm not the only one. I have a BR who is 21wks, bright red comb and wattles for the past 2-3wks, sits in the nest box for a bit every morning, but no eggs yet. I have nothing to offer you in the way of advice, but you are not alone!

4. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    It's possible she's just a late bloomer, but just to be sure, feel her abdomen, between her legs. Is her belly soft and squishy, or hard? Do you feel any lumps?

5. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    Maybe she is just a late bloomer. What am I feeling her belly for? I didn't feel any lumps...like an egg....darn! I guess she will surprise one day ....SOON, I hope.

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    [​IMG] I recently had to put a hen down because she was an "internal layer". But I knew she was sick, and her abdoment was rock hard, like there was a huge egg just waiting to come out. Come to find out it was about 2 months worth of eggs compacted in there into a giant potato of infection. [​IMG] If her belly is soft and squishy like the others, then it is perhaps that she's just getting ready to lay. [​IMG]

7. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

She's practicing, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by