One RIR that wont lay...just pretends!!! GRRRRRR!

chickenlickin8

Songster
11 Years
Jun 26, 2008
Valrico, Florida
My Coop
My Coop
I have 8 hens, 2 of which are RIR. ALL of my girls are laying except Miss RhoDEE! The RIRs are the same age (25 weeks now). One has been laying since she was 20 weeks old and the other one is just pretending to lay! She goes in the nest box, sits for awhile and then gets up and leaves. She has been doing this for 3 or 4 weeks now. What gives?? Shouldn't she be laying by now? Is she a dud?

Here she is........
12435_img_2964.jpg

Glad I'm not the only one. I have a BR who is 21wks, bright red comb and wattles for the past 2-3wks, sits in the nest box for a bit every morning, but no eggs yet. I have nothing to offer you in the way of advice, but you are not alone!

It's possible she's just a late bloomer, but just to be sure, feel her abdomen, between her legs. Is her belly soft and squishy, or hard? Do you feel any lumps?

smile.png
I recently had to put a hen down because she was an "internal layer". But I knew she was sick, and her abdoment was rock hard, like there was a huge egg just waiting to come out. Come to find out it was about 2 months worth of eggs compacted in there into a giant potato of infection.
sad.png
If her belly is soft and squishy like the others, then it is perhaps that she's just getting ready to lay.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom