one room vs 2 room coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by UtePassChickens, Nov 20, 2016.

1. UtePassChickens

UtePassChickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2016
    I have added an addition to our coop, I am on debating as to whether I should remove the wall between the two, or just cut a small walkway. this way the chickens can separate, if they so choose. i also figured i could light one and not the other in winter months, so if they wish to go to bed to early, they dont have to wait for the solar light to wane???? the addition is ground level where as the existing coop is elevated. I have not completed the addition yet. i have a 5 x 5 drain table for the roof. i need to run pvc from the drain to one of 2 5 gallon buckets and once filled it will fill a second before the excess water runs out a overfill drain i'll put in 2nd water bucket. it'll be nice to not have to run hose to coop, or carry up buckets. I'l just spray the hose down the hill onto roof of coop to fill pales in dry times!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sometimes it is good to have a separate area - you could use for brooding, separating breeds, or for birds that need extra care. If you could add a second run it would be great.

There may be times you want to separate birds into breeding pens etc., the 2nd.room coop will be very handy.

1 person likes this.
  3. UtePassChickens

Mar 30, 2016
    thanks! I like the 2nd run idea, actually been trying to convince my wife lol I am planning on getting 3 more chickens so just 8 in all and the run we have is more then sufficient. But had 4 wild turkeys run through here recently and now trying to convince my wife to let me raise a couple....idk though

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    2 separate spaces in a coop can be great,
    temporary wire wall works good for me for raising new chicks every year.
    Do not light one side and not the other.

5. UtePassChickens

Mar 30, 2016
    gratz just got my solar light system delivered today so perfect timing!

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Are you using lights for winter laying?
    Here's a pretty good article on supplemental lighting.

7. UtePassChickens

Mar 30, 2016
    attempting too....advice and opinions needed!

8. UtePassChickens

Mar 30, 2016
    great article thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by