One Rooster Search Party

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Redcatcher, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    I have a group of outcast chickens that hang around my garden during the day and roost up on my porch at night. Among the group is a half blind silkie hen, an amputee hen and a really wimpy Ameraucana rooster that gets the stuffings kicked out of him. After dark, I have to go out there and take them down to the chicken house. In the morning, when let them out, they run up to the house and the daily routine starts all over again. Anyway, I was late taking them down to the chicken house two nights ago. Some critter came up on the porch and carried off my amputee hen. I heard it happen but it was so fast that I was unable to get out in time to save her. I let the chickens out the next morning and it seemed to be business as usual (minus the hen) until the sun began going down. The Ameraucana rooster began his search. He took off down the row of trees and brush where I last heard her cries. Then headed to the road. I watched him run up along the side of the road for maybe 30 feet before turning into the yard again. He ran across the field looking into the tall grass on the other side. He acted like he was seeing or hearing something and he would run to the other side (he was showing no signs of fear and was making no noise). He was looking in the SAME places that I had been looking for her. He kept this up for about 45 minutes, until it was dark. It makes we wonder if she is still out there somewhere since there was not a trace of one single feather anywhere. Has anyone had a similar experience? This was NOT the usual behavior for this rooster or any of my chickens. They NEVER go towards the road or run across the field like that. He was also very attached to this hen and I have no doubt he was looking for her.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:As far as her still being out there, always a possibility, I read a while back about a hen that dissapeared and was found a week later. all the rest of the flock was killed. So sorry for your loss but maybe the roos knows more than you. Keep looking for her or next time follow the roo and see if he has found her, a body would at least bring closure. It's sad when they have a buddy and someting happens to it, I'm sure he feels lost.

3. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Poor little chicken boy. [​IMG]

4. Pickaduck

Pickaduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Alabama
    Aww, poor guy! He's so smart he remembers her being taken and you looking for her. Maybe he does know something you don't - I'd try and look around some more, just to be sure! I am so sorry this happened! [​IMG]

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Thank you for this great rooster story; I love them. I wish you luck in finding your hen.

6. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Sorry to hear about her disappearance. Chickens never cease to amaze me.

7. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Definitely go look some more, maybe she is out there. Good luck. [​IMG]

8. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    Thanks everyone for your kind and encouraging words. There is still no sign of her so I think there is little hope at this point. None of it makes sense. There is no sign of a struggle. She was a very powerful hen weighing about 10 lbs. But being an oriental game, she had very sparse and close, hard feathers. I suppose it could have been possible for her not to leave trail of feathers. The strange part is that the other porch chickens were in their usual places as if nothing had happened. I think she would still be alive if she had not have panicked and had stayed on the porch with the others. From what I heard, she likely was not dragged off the porch but panicked and ran off under her own power until the predator got her.

9. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    This is too sad for me. So sorry................

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by