One Rooster, Two Rooster, Three Rooster, Four?!?!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DENALI, Mar 2, 2008.

1. DENALI

DENALI Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Ok so newbie is going to ask anyway....... Roosters...... have to have? Or not? and if so Just one do it? Does it matter what breed? Wife wants Eye Candy (couple different "pretty" breeds of roo's at same time), I want eggs, kids want Cadburys [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    they all have dif personalities. I like polish and partirdge rock. most peeps have dif faves. they protect the girls.
    i should have added. I got 6 roosters

3. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    If you can have a rooster, GET ONE! They are great fun. The rule of thumb is one roo to 10-12 hens. They will protect the flock so he may not be a cuddle bug but they are so much fun to watch strut arround. I would get the flashiest rooster I could find. A Polish, Sliver Grey Dorking, Brown Leghorn, Sliver Spangled Hamburg, Buttercup, Blue Orpington, Plymoth Barred Rock, Blue Wheaten Ameraucana and a Speckled Sussex are all good looking roosters.

Go to Feathersite to look at photos of the breeds.

Oh and you do NOT need a rooster to get eggs. [​IMG]

Good Luck

4. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Roosters are great!! But very addicting!! They are just so Gorgeous!! I have five at the moment! Two purebreeds,a nd 3 mutts! I love them all. Roosters do a great job of protecting the flock, and well are just pretty to look at. I was even amazed last summer when My one Roo, took great care of a broody hatch. He was just too sweet![​IMG]

5. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    I would get one if you can have one. You can have more than one if you have enough hens (like at least 16 hens for 2 roosters if they will all range together). There are some other threads on this forum you could search for about people's favorite breeds of roosters. I agree, looking at pictures would be a good starting point, also research on the personalities.

6. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    With a screen name like mine I bet you could guess what I'd say...

JUST DO IT! [​IMG]

7. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    Roosters are awesome! We have Four full size roosters
    Kramer a sexlink, Rocky a Barred Rock, Romeo a Cherry Egger and George a Silver Spangled Hamburg

We have one silky Rooster, Ando and two silky mix roosters, Phoenix and Wedge, and we have 4 bantam mix roosters
    Barns,Ian, Issac, and Crowboy.

We do need to find new homes for some but they all get along and are sooo beautiful and fun to watch!

8. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    Out of the probably....150 birds I have had over the last year, the top 2 are a mixed breed roo & a Light Brahma hen. I like the boys alot (particularly barred rocks) but I believe in spending alot of time w/them as babies so they are more friendly and not aggressive as adults b/c I don't tolerate aggression.
    Just my 2 cents.

9. Brian

Brian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2007
    Jacksonville, ORegon
    Denali, I'm wondering if what you are really asking about is...do you need a rooster to have eggs?

If so: NO. Hens will lay unfertilized eggs, which is ordinarily what all of us buy in the supermarket (unless we have our own hens, of course). If you have a rooster around, the eggs your hens lay will be fertilized. You can still eat them, though there may be a little seminal snot chunk in the eggs. If the hens are "broody" and you let the fertilized eggs accumulate in her nest, she'll start "setting" on them when she gets up to around 12 eggs. The quantity is dependent on breed. The quantity is referred to as the "clutch" size. Also, you can collect the eggs and incubate, as some breed hens are not known to be all that broody.

Hope that helps.

Brian

10. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:So do I! Find a hen that lays those and you'll be a billionaire. [​IMG]
    I would personally get a roo (I currently have FOUR, so maybe I'm not the one to listen to) because they protect, keep peace between the ladies, crow in the morning... and afternoon...and evening...and night, and they are eye candy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by