One sad phone call... ( GRAPHIC DESCRIPTION)

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by PaigeHgibson, Jul 13, 2011.

1. PaigeHgibson

PaigeHgibson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I DON'T FEEL LIKE BEING CRITIZED I FEEL BAD ENOUGH I JUST WANT TO SHARE MY EXPIERIENCE SO OTHER PEOPLE CAN MAYBE LEARN FROM IT

My mother called me yesterday afternoon hyserical ( I am in CT right now on Vacation) and said a coon had killed all but 3 of my Pigeons ... I had 30 birds
    there were heads , feathers , everywere
    My new loft was being completed by my pigeon club as a suprise after the tornado destroyed my other loft ( its a 12X12 ) but it was good so they could be in the loft during the day but be kept in at night in the basement
    this happened in the afternoon I have never heard of coons attacking during the day so I wasnt concerned
    The flypen and divider wasnt attached yet so we covered the front window with hardware wire and then a top layer of chicken wire it was pretty heavy duty so i had no worries

I do feel Irresponsible I feel worse because I am not their they were my pride and joy
    i am the Junior president of the DRA ( dixie roller association) i am supposed to set a good example and instead my whole loft was massacred
    My mother told me she found Timothys head when I was asking if she found any survivors ... ( my handfed English trumpeter) she showed so much potential and was a real sweet one\\
    I am just really angry when i get back I am setting alot of traps , the coons were i live have distemper/ rabies
    Last month I caught a rabid fox in a live trap animal control came and got him

I have 2 trumpter hens left and a female roller squab

RIP Timothy
    [​IMG]

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I am so sorry................what a crappy thing to have happen while away from home [​IMG]

And your poor Mom..............not the news you want to tell your loved one [​IMG]

3. PaigeHgibson

Mar 2, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    yes .... it was awful I feel bad for her because she did care about these birds to i have shown them and raised them for years so in that time they are like pets and all have personalities
    the worst part is being so far away

4. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    I'm So sorry to hear this! You certianly were not being irresponsible, you were doing with what you had ! R.I.P to your birds and I hope this doesn't discourage you for the future.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. PaigeHgibson

Mar 2, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    thank you , I was going to quit when i first got the news i=but I thought about it and I love the birds and the hobby and the people to much to quit I spoke with Bob Nolan a trumpeter breeder in Calafonia and he is shipping me some cocks for my hens so i can start all over and members of the club are giving me 2 breeding pairs . It will be hard to start over but in the end its all worth it , i have to amazing champion producing hens , and one little roller squab who is a hen and will take after her mother JR champion

6. DuranAndy

DuranAndy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Utah
    I'd say its time to KILL SOME COONS! [​IMG]

7. PaigeHgibson

Mar 2, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    youve got that right [​IMG] [​IMG] I cant wait , this is the last straw I looked away when they raided the trash but this was [​IMG] [​IMG] the last straw

8. Okla-doodle-doo

Okla-doodle-doo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Portland,Tn
    Wish you were closer I would give you some roolers to start back up. Massacers are so devestating when they happen. I hope you jump back into the birds. Sounds like you have a great love for them and we need all the pigeon fans we can get!

9. Whiskey Bay

Whiskey Bay Chillin' With My Peeps

I am just really angry when i get back I am setting alot of traps , the coons were i live have distemper/ rabies
    Last month I caught a rabid fox in a live trap animal control came and got him

That's pretty much your answer right there... When an animal has Distemper,it affects the neuro system. The time of day or presence of people, threats,vehicles just sort of becomes unknown.The animal is sick. When the neurological system is affected it affects the thought processes and such.However,because of ntural human 'invasion' on natural territory,animals are forced to adapt.Sometimes this means hunting when they can.It may have been a female with babies to feed OR female with young teaching to feed... Around here it's not uncommon to see coons and coyotes in the middle of the afternoon. IF the wild animals are known to have rabies/distemper PLEASE be sure to keep a close watch on any dogs you may have and be sure their vaccinations are up to date. Working with the wildlife rehab and vet clinic for so many years,I've seen the horrible effects on the wild animals and dogs alike. It's a heartbreaking thing to watch.​

10. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    Sorry for your loss it must be devistating. Hope you can get back on your feet again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by