One says Production Reds, one says Rhode Island Reds; what do YOU say?

Shesapip

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 7, 2009
Washington County, Oregon
I don't know if I'm ready for this,
hide.gif
but go ahead and tell me what you think. Rhode Island Reds or Production?

27321_100_1722.jpg

If they're production, it'll be the second time I've gone down this road since March.
roll.png

I'd like to remedy the problem sooner rather than later!

Thanks, you wonderful BYCers!
love.gif

Looks like mine, rir, but who really knows, I got them from the feed store. Look like you have 3 roos in there. I can show you pics If you want them, but they look just like yours.

Last edited:
look like my production did where did you get them from if its a supply store i do believe its most likely a production because they are cheaper per chick like if they got em from ideal they are i do believe but both are great birds

I would say those are a perduction / hatchery red or a very bad RIR...
I would say 3 young roosters and 2 young hens the one chick not to shure on..
There should be no laceing in a RIR's wings..
Chris...

This is 5 to 7 week old RIR out of my Exhibition stock by November he will look like his dad in the other picture....

DSC_0145.jpg

DSC_0146.jpg

Last edited:
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't a production red or a production RIR simply a hatchery quality RIR? The lighter coloured feathers (as compared with exhibition birds) indicating that it was not bred for plumage and conformation qualityh, but rather that the focus was on egg/meat production?

They look like my one sold as RIR. But now i think i got a production..lol

Never the less they are cute and i do see 3 roo's

also lux_interior , I have tattoo envy.......lol JEALOUS!!!i have 15 and need more
th.gif

Sorry for the hyjacking
hide.gif

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't a production red or a production RIR simply a hatchery quality RIR?

Some say that, however, Ideal sells both Production Reds and RIRs. I've seen them in the feedstore. I bought their RIRs with my original flock and the one girl I have left is almost as dark as my breeder quality RIRs, however, her body type is quite different. I think that production reds can also have New Hampshire Red blood in them, a cross, though not sexlinked.​

Back
Top Bottom