One secluded chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by libertybellnky, Dec 12, 2016.

1. libertybellnky

libertybellnky Just Hatched

Mar 15, 2016
    I have 6 layers, 3 Rhode Island Reds and 3 Plymouth Rocks. They've been together since I picked them up as one day old chicks. Just recently, one, Henrietta, has stayed away from the others. She doesn't run to the gate for treats, or any of the other behaviors they have established. She doesn't seem unhealthy in any way, and I know she is eating, as I have watched her. When I go out to collect eggs, she is just sitting by herself. Is this an indication of anything bad?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Sometimes it is, and sometimes it isn't. How old are your birds? Birds in molt or those not feeling well will hang by themselves often. Sometimes there's a bottom bird that doesn't have friends she feels safe with so they stay away from the group. I would spend so time observing her to see if she's being picked on or if she's acting odd or unwell.

3. libertybellnky

Mar 15, 2016
    Thanks. My girls are less than a year old. There is no evidence of her being picked on, as we have a very weak pecking order.

4. libertybellnky

Mar 15, 2016
    Thanks. My girls are less than a year old. There is no evidence of her being picked on, as we have a very weak pecking order.

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I would guess than that she's not feeling well. We have had drops in temperatures here that will cause some birds to huddle or look off for a week or two before they get used to it. Hopefully it's nothing to worry about.

6. libertybellnky

Mar 15, 2016
    We have also had quite a drop in temp, I hope that's all it is.

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Drops in temps can stress out Chickens.....Usually that is when they show symptoms of disease they carry........

Try closing up the coop for a few days and add some grower feed to the mix for added protein.....

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by