One sick hen one hen making strange noises in coop at night

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by morgancl, Mar 12, 2015.

1. morgancl

morgancl New Egg

Mar 12, 2015
    Hello... I just took my Rhode Inland red to the vet. I noticed she was not joining the flock . Not really running around just hiding under the coop. She was fluffing Her feathers out and eating snow. I picked her up and she didn't make much fuss at all. She is molting some. I made her a warm bed inside with my wire dog cage gave her water and egg layer food. She was just quiet drink a little ate a little . Vet took her temp she was fine and checked her over . She is s little under weight she is 8 months old. He said she had some signs that she was getting beat up a little . I have two roosters 9 hens . I brought in a small poop sample from her ( she is not going much very paste like ) then went and got some from the coop for the flock. They just called and told me no worms in either sample . He gave her a shot of antibiotic that will last her 10 days. Now I have another hen making a hiccup weird noise at night, moving her head way up and opening her beak . Like she is trying to get air. She does this for a little awile then stops. She is seems normal otherwise . The vet is telling me to worm the one in the house and I am going to worm the one that Is making the noise . any thoughts on what this is? I have been getting seven eggs so two are not laying . The one in the house defiantly the one that is making the noise I belive is the other . I was getting 9 - 6 eggs daily about two weeks ago . Also how much safeguard for a 3.85 pound hen ? Thank you

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    It's weird that he would suggest worming when none were found although some types may not show in poop samples. At any rate, if you are going to worm, worm the whole flock! BTW chickens love to eat snow, nothing wrong with that. Check with @casportpony for dosing but I believe the dose is 0.23 per pound of bird. [​IMG]

3. morgancl

morgancl New Egg

Mar 12, 2015
    Okay I did ask about doing them all and he said no . I also thought maybe my inside girl might have an egg bound . I thought about trying the warm water on her back side . I love my birds I was so upset when I found second one making that noise and she is right next to my favorite rooster. My vet does not believe in worming if they don't need it. He believes in testing first. He wants to do an X-ray but it was over 100.00 for the exam and testing. I just can't afford that right now.
    Thank you

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  4. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    I'm sorry to say this, but it sounds like your vet believes in money. Ask anyone here and they will tell you to worm the entire flock! Just to prevent parasite loads that cause other illnesses, flocks should be wormed twice a year. We can also help you determine if your hen is egg bound. No need to spend all that money! There are many threads on egg bound hens and treatment options. Do a vent exam to see if you can feel an egg or broken egg, feel her abdomen for an egg shaped or any other shaped lump. Give us those findings and any other symptoms. We can help you for free!

5. morgancl

morgancl New Egg

Mar 12, 2015
    Okay I will let you know I am going to get the wormer at the tractor supply . Thank you so much !!!

6. morgancl

morgancl New Egg

Mar 12, 2015
    Her vent looked okay I could not feel anything lumpy . She is drinking well just not eatting much now at all . She just lays in the cage. She did peck me once yesterday. I gave her a warm soak in water last night she seemed to like it. Then a blew her dry . She didn't act like she minded that either. After she acted like she was trying to push something out. So I stayed with her and she seemed to be acting like they do when their in the nesting box . Then she ruffled her self way up so I made sure she was dry and left her alone in her dog run. I cleaned out her shavings and only found wetness no really poops. Just one or two flat grayish brown ones. She seemed to want to sleep. I gave her some electrolyte in her water. I didn't worm her yet I decided to ask the vet how much to give her. Then I plan to add some to my outside flock while I am home for the weekend. The one girl outside is still making that noise in the coop but eatting . I am getting dicourgage with my girl inside . I hope when I get home she is feeling better with the electrolytes .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by