1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One sick, underdeveloped chick.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickens29, Mar 20, 2016.

1. chickens29

chickens29 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2015
    New England
    So recently I've noticed one of the chicks wasn't growing properly like the others.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

Silkie, 2 weeks, a lot lighter than the others

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

Sits in corner away from other silkies, occasionally drinks and eats. If you touch her, she is very cold unlike the other chicks. She is also small like a day old chick. She peeps too. She has grown wings.

She lets her wings hang down and puts her head against the wall because she cannot stand at all. Today she was normally eating and walking but now I don't know what happened. She also always wants to sleep and isn't awake and alert like other chicks.

My mom commented that her breathing is labored now, which it wasn't this morning.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

Since a week ago I've noticed her size wasn't normal. She seemed to be larger before though and normal..

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

Bullying, but all of my bullied chicks have never ended up in such a critical situation. I do not think she was dumped in the water because it is too shallow and she was never wet. Is it possible for a chick just not to grow?

Maybe sickness? None of the other chicks are sick and they are all growing well, except for this one chick.

My mom occasionally gives treats like a piece of an omelette, but nothing has worked.

I did notice that when they were all a few days old and I think on their first day all of the chicks had a crackling noise, similar to rice krispies. It has gone away now. I do not hear it from the limp chick but I do not want to pick her up in case I fatigue her even more.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

Yes, but only a fifth of how much she should eat. So sometimes.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

Normal

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

Separation from production red chicks (because they are jumpy bullies) and put with fellow silkie chicks who don't bully her. She still peeps like she is alone though. My family and I make sure there is constant access to clean water and lots of food.

We also have a furnace on which provides heat like a heat lamp. This year we lost the clamp to the heat lamp. :/

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

I would like to treat it myself.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

No, but she looks like a 3 day old chick.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Newspaper changed daily with pine shavings in a large plastic brooder.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    It sounds like you have a failure to thrive situation and that can be caused by numerous things. With the "rice krispy" sound in the beginning, I suspicion a viral illness that ran its course with the others but this little one was unable to fight it off being more delicate from hatch.

I would separate her and place her on antibiotics. You can get those from the feed store. I recommend a broad based antibiotic like tetracycline or oxytetracyline. I sometimes use Sulmet which is a sulphur drug that addresses coccidiosis (another possibility, but the others are showing no signs of diarrhea) as well as the common hatching bacteria (like eColi and Salmonella and Pasturella).

Often chicks with failure to thrive are harboring internal bacterial overgrowth from hatching conditions. Or she may simply not developed well enough internally to thrive.

Chicks who get bullied are often the weak and unthrifty (rather than they became weak and unthrifty from the bullying).

Try the antibiotics, add some Chick Saver into her water for electrolytes, vitamins and energy boost, and hope for the best.

However, these chicks often fail to make it, so you may need to prepare for the worst. I've finally come to the conclusion to not over intervene with the weak ones as you typically just lose them later on or they become the vector of illness for the whole flock later.

I wish you the best of luck with your chick.
    LofMc

3. chickens29

Dec 15, 2015
    New England
    Ok, thank you for the tips! She stopped peeping after my post, so I put hot water bottles by her and it helped tremendously with the cold. If she can eat and drink later I will try to give her antibiotics

4. chickens29

Dec 15, 2015
    New England
    We don't have antibiotics currently, but today I may get oxytetracycline and sav-a-chick from Tractor Supply, if not, then it'll be tomorrow. I hope the chick will still be ok by then :S

5. chickens29

Dec 15, 2015
    New England
    Nvm it's too late. I will get it for the others though.

6. chickens29

Dec 15, 2015
    New England
    Update! I am giving them all doxycycline, and they're all in good condition. There might be problems down the road, but for now they are healthy. I will post again if anything goes wrong.

Thank you for the help! As I said in my previous post, the chick didn't make it, but that's ok.

7. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Sorry to hear you lost the one chick...sadly no surprise.

Glad the others are doing well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by