One silkie chick whiter than the others

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Beka123, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Beka123

Beka123 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2012
    I have tried very unsuccessfully to get a good pic of my silkie babies to try to show you what I'm going to try to explain further down the page: I have 4 white ones, 1 buff and 1 blue. But, one of my white silkies is very plainly pure white, while the other 3 white ones have a slightly "yellow-chick-going-to-be-white-when-they-feather-out" color. They look white with just the 3 of them together, but you put the pure paper-white one next to them and they look yellower than the super white one. I don't know what to make of this, are my three "white" ones maybe mixed perhaps with a buff, so they are going to be light buff and not true whites? Or does my "pure" white one just have a base color of white too? (I've only briefly read about "base colors" in silkies and have no real grasp on the full concept of this so I understand I could be completely mis-guided on this thought process) thanks for any replies and I'm sorry I couldn't get a good pic to help you out!

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Some white chickens will be yellow as chicks.

They should turn white as they get their adult feathers.

I have about 7 white Silkie chicks just recently hatched and 4 of them are yellow.

[​IMG]

3. Countrychick8540

Countrychick8540 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2011
    I have 3 white silkie chicks right now, one is really yellow, the other 2 are pure white. Just depends on individual chicks i'd say.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by