One silkie rooster in a flock okay?

Selka

Chirping
Aug 9, 2021
I am new to taking care of chickens so sorry for a probably silly question. We have a flock of marans, araucanas, swedish flower hen, czech golden hen and cream legbar and three silkies. They are still small, but we will keep only hens, 2-3 pieces of each breed. I was wondering if we keep one silkie rooster (if it comes out as a rooster, but I have a suspission), is there any chance he might mate with the other hens, which we do not want as we have the birds only for eggs? The silkies are smaller, little bit silly (sorry silkies!), would it be technically possible? Thanks :).

I like to keep a rooster for protection since there’s a lot of opossums and foxes where I live and I have a Silkie roo for breeding but would not recommend the breed for protection
Definitely not :D. I feel they lack the self-preservation instinct... Thanks!

Thank you very much. So fertilised eggs are okay for consumption and can they be stored as normal eggs for about three weeks?
Refrigerate or at least ensure the eggs are collected daily and stored somewhere cooler and you will have 0 risk of developing chicks.

Fertilized eggs taste just like unfertilized eggs.

Back
Top Bottom