One silkie with 9 bigger chickens, Do I get her another friend?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mommyofthreewithchicks, Jul 15, 2010.

1. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    Well I picked out the birds a month ago and they were all about the same size but now the silkie is the smallest. I haven't seen anyone picking on her but am feeling a bit bad for her because she seems to be ignored in the flock.

So do you think I should go and find her some silkie friends?

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    How old are your birds? I think she would like some buddies her own size, but if your chooks are older it might not be worth the hassle of quarintine and introductions since none of the others are picking on her.

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    It would be nice for her to have another silkie. Their personalities are different IMO and she would probably love someone her own size.

4. Bridget399

Bridget399 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    South Western PA
    i butchered my RIR roosters and kept my hens last fall. the roos were getting mean and tearing up the poor girls backs. i also have 6 Golden Comets, too.
    i got a silkie rooster, because i still wanted a roo, but nothing that would tear up my girls. they picked on him for about a month. i really had to watch when he was with the girls at first, and when i couldn't supervise, i kept him seperated, where they could see eachother, but not touch. he is now ruler of the kingdom, and keeps the girls in line, even my heavyweight RIRs.
    i know this is different from you situation, but if my silkie were a female, i would consider getting her a friend. but now that your other chicks are bigger, you may have to watch them close when introducing them.

5. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    Well the person on Craigslist wrote back and they have about 7 silkie chicks to sell. Since we just got 36 chicks today I am figuring that I could put those silkie chicks with the Wyandotte chicks. I am so excited!!! I think we will only get three (one for each of the kids).

I think my birds are around 14 weeks old. Since I don't think I will be introducing the chicks to the older ones for a while Fancy Nancy will have to wait for her friend but I do think I am going to go on a road trip to get them.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have two silkies in the brooder. They don't seem to hang together at all. My red silkie is content to stay in the brooder all day, with the meat birds. The gray one is out and about, running everywhere with the much larger chicks; including some meat birds at least 10X his size.
    Silkies grow slowly.
    Good luck on integrating them with the new chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by