One Simple Rule - How my house works.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Boyd, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Respect. Without it the house would be in utter Chaos. My one rule for the house is respect. Common sense sort of stuff.

You don't do your chores you are disrespecting the house
    You cuss, swear or give attitude you are disrespecting others
    You lie, cheat or steal you are disrespecting others feelings or property
    You hurt, maim or kill you are disrespecting the life and lifestyle of others.
    You bring home a bad report card you are disrespecting both yourself and the parents, both of which are qualified to be teachers.

This is a basic sampling... reason I wanted to put this down is because we interviewed a new Foster kid a couple weeks back and the DHS worker was dumbfounded when she asked me about the rules of the house. I answered Respect. "that's it?" "Yup, that's it."

So my shout out to all the parents, or those who still under their parents rule - What sort of rules did you grow up with, what do you impose upon your children..... and how many of you have used the line "this isn't a democracy............" ? [​IMG]

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:Ah, but some kids struggle more than others, I wouldn't be yelling and screaming about a bad report card. Both my kids do just fine in school, but I know there are a few kids that struggle, and generally its not for lack of trying. (these are elementary age I'm talking about not slacking off teens [​IMG] )

My son has never brought home anything other than an A, and his sister looks to be following, but if they had difficulty I wouldn't take it as disrespect for anyone.

3. Boyd

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:Ah, but some kids struggle more than others, I wouldn't be yelling and screaming about a bad report card. Both my kids do just fine in school, but I know there are a few kids that struggle, and generally its not for lack of trying. (these are elementary age I'm talking about not slacking off teens [​IMG] )

My son has never brought home anything other than an A, and his sister looks to be following, but if they had difficulty I wouldn't take it as disrespect for anyone.

I didn't know they gave out report cards in elementary school anymore [​IMG] I'm generally talking teens though [​IMG]

4. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California

I didn't know they gave out report cards in elementary school anymore [​IMG] I'm generally talking teens though [​IMG]

[​IMG] Yep sure do, my DD is in Kindergarten and we even got a report card for her, but there were just check marks to show she could do certain things like say her alphabet and count to 100 etc.

6. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    I think respect is key too Boyd! [​IMG] Growing up, we had to follow 2 rules...1. Do as I say I am the boss, 2. Refer to number 1
    Cut and dry....we did what we were told. The wrath of the boss was not something you wanted to mess with. [​IMG] In my house I am big on respect too. I constantly drive home the treat others as you would want to be treated adage. Then of course I throw the phrase back at them that" this is my house and these are my rules and you will follow them whether you like them or not until you are old enough to move out....yeah, life is not fair. " [​IMG]

7. Boyd

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:[​IMG] i hear you there! I have 18 year old daughters at home and even though they are "grown up" they still call and check in and now not to come staggering in at 3am. I will not be amused [​IMG]

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:I hated that rule growing up - Do as I say!

At times it seemed so stupid or so unfair, I don't do that to my kids, if there is something we can't agree on, we discuss it and perhaps one person was thinking something different or ? and we come to an agreement. Me just saying DO AS I SAY, just doesn't work for me.
    My folks also never told us WHY the answer was NO, it was just NO because I said so! That never taught us a dern thing, other than my parents were totally unresonable and wouldn't talk to us.
    I will always explain to my kids why I say no or whatever, it teaches them how to handle situations when I'm not going to be around, it teaches them to think things through a little further than the moment.

9. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Dh and I have 2 kids.

I ask that dishes go into the sink.I really hate it when people eat and then just walk away from the table.

I ask that when you are upset take it into your room till you calm down. I want the home to be the one place we can count on where we can *get away* from the negatives out in the world.

Kids don't get report cards at their current school,but I ask they complete the work they are told to do.Yes,some of it is mindless busy work,but if you are told to do it then do it and don't rock the boat.

Put away your cloths and toys.I will give you a day at most then it will disappear.

Don't expect money for chores.I don't get paid either.We all need to work together for the good of the household.

When dad is home let him relax.He works so hard and deserves some down time.When he is ready he will play,read,or whatever it is you want to do.

Love and respect each other because you can can be gone at any moment.

I guess that is it.Best wishes with the new foster child.

10. PlymouthRocker

PlymouthRocker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Plymouth County MA
    This is what I tell my daughter all the time:

1. You are a gift from God to your dad and me. Because of that, my main job as your parent is to teach you to love the Lord.
    2. After that, our job is to teach you to be a responsible person. Little kids get little responsibilities, big kids get big responsibilities. To teach you how to be responsible, we provide you with rights, responsibilities, privileges and positive and negative consequences.
    3. As your mother, I have an additional job that you dad cannot do: I will teach you to be a young lady.

I tell her why we have the rules so that are fewer arguments as to why she has to do something or why something was right or wrong. It's working so far.

I try to remember that Rules without a Relationship = Rebellion. So I often say things like, "As your mother, I love you so much that I want to see you be a responsible person now and when you are a grown-up. Responsible people clean up after themselves. I want to teach you now to take care of your things so that when you are a grown up you will know how to do this. I'm your mom. I want you to succeed. Now please clean your room or there will be negative consequences."

The reason that we bought chickens was to teach her how to be responsible with money. She earns a little from a lot of hard work, but has choices on how to spend it. It's my job to teach her to stretch a dollar, not waste it.

So the rules in our house are love and respect.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by