1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One skillet chicken dinner?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Equus5O, May 7, 2009.

1. Equus5O

Equus5O Chillin' With My Peeps

Does anyone have a savory chicken dish, with veggies, where you brown and simmer the chicken with the liquid, all in one skillet?

2. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I don't have an official recipe, but I can walk ya through the mechanics. The first thing is to brown the chicken over medium high heat with a little olive oil, or canola if you don't like olive. Use a deep saute pan, you'll need a lid for it later. When all sides of the bird are browned, reduce the heat to medium and and begin adding your veggies. Obviously, you'll add the ones that take longest to cook first, like cabbage, fennel, onion, carrot, tough stuff. Add some stock, wine, or water to cover bottom 1/3 of the chicken, any herbs, salt and pepper. Put on the lid and allow it to simmer for 7-8 minutes, possibly longer if you have large chicken pieces or bone in pieces. If I'm using something that gets floppy quickly and I want it crisp, like sliced peppers, I'll hold off until about halfway through the simmering to add them. Garlic is a nice addition. I hate slicing garlic, so I just throw some crushed cloves into the pot with the veggies and fish them out later. Do adjust your seasoning when cooking is complete and check for doneness. If the chicken isn't quite done, but the veg is, just remove the veg from the pan and reserve under foil. Toss a little more fluid in the pan and simmer a little longer. One pan dinners are my favourite. You can use any protein, thick fish, shrimp, steak.

3. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    You can make Country Captain Chicken:

Saute chicken parts until browned in a large skillet
    Remove chicken from pan and saute cutup garlic, onions, green peppers in the same pan
    Add chicken back along with a can of stewed tomatoes, salt, pepper and some curry powder (to taste - I use about a teaspoon for a whole cutup chicken but I like curry)
    Simmer covered until chicken is nearly done - about 20 min? - then add a 1/2 cup of raisins and simmer until the raisins plump up - maybe another 10min
    Serve over rice

4. Clay In Iowa

Clay In Iowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
  5. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
  6. peeplessinNC

peeplessinNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    NC Piedmont
    Summer Chicken with Peas and New Potatoes

6 TB butter
    1 broiler-fryer, cut into serving pieces
    1 lb. small new potatoes, scrubbed well with a strip of peel cut away all the way around the centers
    salt and pepper
    2 TB lemon juice
    3 green onions (with tops), thinly sliced
    1 cup fresh shelled peas or a 10 oz. package of frozen
    1 cup sour cream
    1 t. crumbled thyme leaves
    1/2 t. salt
    1/4 t. pepper
    about 1/4 cup chopped parsley

Melt butter in a large skillet. Add chicken pieces and potatoes and brown slowly on all sides; season with s&p. Sprinkle on lemon juice, cover pan and simmer for 30 minutes. Add green onions; sprinkle peas over all; cover and simmer 10 minutes more or until chicken and potatoes are tender. Remove chicken and vegetables to a serving platter and keep warm. Remove skillet from heat. Add sour cream, thyme, 1/2 t. salt and 1/4 t. pepper to skillet drippings. Stir well. Warm gently if skillet has gone cold. Do not let boil. Pour sauce over chicken and vegetables or pass in another container. Garnish with chopped parsley.
    Makes 4 servings.

7. Equus5O

Equus5O Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the tips!

I didn't even know I had any responses. "Someone" has been reading my chicken stuff. Must have been Mr. Idontwannaknownothinboutnochickens.

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by