One strange Marans chick

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by L&Schickens, Mar 5, 2009.

1. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    This is P.S. (Poop Shooter) and he/she is in the house right now because he/she is feeling down. This chick was hatched January 26th and was yellow out of a very dark BC Marans egg. Now that it is getting older, I have noticed the comb is no nearly as big as the other cockerels in the bunch and this one has no tail!!! He/she does have feathers on the legs though.
    Any idea as to sex and color and why it has no tail?
    Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nurse Pucca seeing how P.S. is doing
    [​IMG]

And the siblings. You can see how big some of the other boys combs are.

[​IMG]

2. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

I would say rooster. The hens and roosters are feathered different. Do to the feathers I would go with rooster. And it may just be one of those chickens who take forever to molt! I had a marans hen that took 6 months to get her feathers back in!! I have since sold her. [​IMG]

3. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    does he/she have a nub of skin where the tail would grow out of? If not then maybe they aren't 100% maran...someone was flirting with a nice araucana! Or it could just be a natural occurring mutation...

4. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I just checked and there is a "nub" with fuzz on it. So I guess I won't be breeding the very rare "Rumpless" Marans after all. [​IMG]

5. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    she/he is just a late bloomer...probably a roo then...

you can keep these funny baby pictures and once he's all giant and handsome, show his prospective girlfriends [​IMG]
    I'm gonna be a horrible mom...son's date comes over and i bust out the photo album [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by