one strange Silkie here!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ElegantChicken, Dec 18, 2008.

1. ElegantChicken

ElegantChicken Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2008
    Alaska
    I love my Silk(Snazzle Frazz) to death,but she has yet to take interest in eggs,aren't they supposed to be legendary for mothering instincts? We had fertile eggs a while back but she didn't want to sit on them and she hasn't laid yet. She is about 1 year old and her little friend,a game hen, that is her age just started laying. Is there ANY way of knowing when she is close to laying? and yes I am very new to chickens [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. SussexInSeattle

SussexInSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Washington
    Could it be possible that she is a rooster in disguise?

3. ElegantChicken

Dec 17, 2008
    Alaska
    I can't possibly imagine that she is! but who knows! she is very strange indeed. she hides in small corners and usually avoids other chickens...

my brother and brother in law even joked that she might be mentally retarded [​IMG] we sometimes call her pinky and her friend the game hen brain XD totally fits them!

she sleeps during the day and is awake most nights. I don't know if that is normal!

but she is the sweetest thing...when i pick her up she protests at first but then tucks her head next to my neck and just relaxes as I pet her [​IMG]

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Hmmm... Sounds like you definitely have an odd ball there! [​IMG] You gotta love 'em!

5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    WOW, odd !! Do you have a pic of this girl (maybe boy) ?

By a year old she should be laying !!

6. ElegantChicken

Dec 17, 2008
    Alaska
    heres some pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens