1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One swollen and bubbly eye...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Fiona8247, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Fiona8247

Fiona8247 New Egg

Mar 26, 2012
    San Diego
    Hi everyone

Three weeks ago we got our first chickens - a 20 week old leghorn hen and a 28 week Rhode Island Red.

Things were going smoothly until this weekend when I noticed that the leghorn's right eye is swollen with bubbles in it. The left eye is fine and the Rhode Island Red has no problems.

When I press on the swollen part it feels soft to the touch, and a cloudy liquid comes out into the eye. She seems a little out of sorts but is eating and drinking ok. May have runny poo as well but can't be 100% sure on that one....

Any suggestions? We are considering trying neosporin for a few days. Shall I put it in her eye or rub it on the swollen part?

Thanks,
    Fiona

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CarlosGarcia

CarlosGarcia New Egg

Mar 27, 2012
    I am not an expert on any way but I had the same issue on one of my chicken this weekend and all i did was to clean it up with water, then I diluted some teraflu and bird vitamins on a cup of water gave the chicken 2 ml. of this and today was up and healed. you might want to wait to see what others say

3. Fiona8247

Fiona8247 New Egg

Mar 26, 2012
    San Diego
    bump

4. Fiona8247

Fiona8247 New Egg

Mar 26, 2012
    San Diego
    Thanks CarlosGarcia, we will try the teraflu and vitamins idea.

We've tried neosporin for a few days with no obvious change. She seems otherwise ok...

Any other suggestions? Anyone?

5. gandybugs

gandybugs Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2011
    Ferndale, WA
    Ok i have this problem as well... along with coughing....

I took two chickens to the vet ($108 later... and no answer...) and found out it isn't a parasite... i am currently giving them some antibiotics in their water and will then follow up with vitamins.

I had one perons maybe say turkey disease and used Tylin?

i did notice yesterday they had a runny nose too... but majority are still out eating and doing well, i have a few really weak ones, but am hoping once the antibiotics kick in they will be doing better...

make sure to really wash your hands after handling them, a lot of things can spread from teh chicken to people, so better safe then sorry!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by