One thing leads to another

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CARS, Apr 30, 2009.

1. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

I went to go pick up a few Cornish X's at a (fairly) local farm store. And what do you know... I found some Black Sex links right there!
    I have been trying to order some and every "large" hatchery is either out of them or I needed to wait till mid to late June. I am very happy!!!

[​IMG]

And here is my new "homemade" brooder lamp

[​IMG]

I am using a reptile thermostat to control one of the bulbs. It kicks in when the temp drops below the set temp (ummm, like a thermostat)

[​IMG]

Everyone seems happy for now

[​IMG]

The Cornish are going to have to move next week, my "rarest of the rare" collection are arriving! I'll set up another brooder this weekend for those tubby guys.

2. Appaloosa Hill Farm

Appaloosa Hill Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Southern Middle TN
    Yay! I love it when things work out that way. [​IMG] Nice lamp and brooder set up! You have to post pics when you get your rare assortment!! Can't wait to see those!

3. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    does that reptile thingie work in reverse too? Like turn off when it gets too hot?

4. CARS

Quote:Yes, there is a temperature probe that I lay on the bedding that monitors the temperature. It senses when it is "off" the selected temp.

For example, I set it to 90 degrees. When the probe senses that it is only 88 degrees, it turns the bulb on. When it gets over 90 degrees it shuts it off. Just like you furnace's or A/C's thermostat does.

5. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    That is PERFECT for what I need. I was thinking about getting a dimmer switch or something like that for my coop. I like this kind of control more though. Then, the girls could get used to the dark a little at a time and I can make sure that they don't freeze or bake.

6. CARS

Quote:The down sides that I see are if you only use one lamp, the light is going on and off quite often and I think I paid close to $40.00 for mine.

I also use the same one for my incubator. It really works great with a heating element! If I could only get the humidity constant now....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by