One ticked off hen

Discussion in 'Quail' started by CB66, Mar 23, 2013.

1. CB66

CB66 New Egg

Mar 22, 2013
    Montreal, Quebec
    Whew, long day. Got my courtnix and the farmer even threw in an extra! So grand total is 9 quail a laying, and now I wonder if the freebie is this one hen who seems to enjoy testing every part of the cage, push the others around and now I caught her pecking at a fresh egg.

Thoughts? Experinces?

2. kenazzo2000

kenazzo2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    malta [europe]
    Never mix quail with chickens

3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Hm. Sound like there may be a good reason he threw that one in. I'd call and find out if he knows anything about it. He may offer to take her back and trade for another, if he's reputable.

In the meantime, tell us a little about your set-up, and maybe we can help you troubleshoot. Stressed hens will tend to fight, so we may be able to help you calm them down and remove or reduce stress, which may be enough to calm her down.

Also, kenazzo2000, did you mean to post your comment on another thread? I'm confused. ;) She doesn't say anything about mixing her quail with chickens...

4. CB66

CB66 New Egg

Mar 22, 2013
    Montreal, Quebec
    The coop is much calmer today, unfortunately one died and it looked quite abuse by a male. I think the stress was too much for her, poor thing.
    I'm going to chalk it up to a very stressful transport home and just let them relax. In less than 24 hours I harvested 9 fresh eggs. There are definitely some tweaks to be made, but the feeder and water bottles are working out so far. One tip i'm trying out is laying out beds of peat moss to catch the waste for composting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by