One TOENAIL a Different COLOR?! What's up with THAT? (pictures incl.)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ADozenGirlz, Sep 6, 2010.

1. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Both of my Ameraucana chicks, who are 14 weeks old, have a toenail on each foot that is a different color from the rest. What's THAT all about? Is it normal or an anomoly? I've never seen anything like it.

[​IMG]
    Here are Bessie and Clarice:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bessie:
    [​IMG]
    Clarice:
    [​IMG]
    No sign of different colored toenails early-on:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  2. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    A couple of my BSLs have a different color toenail than their toes. The color corresponds to the color of the toe pad underneath. For the most part, they have black feet, but a couple have yellow spots on the tips of their toes, so their nails are also yellow.

3. Chickenkate17

Chickenkate17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    California
    Maybe like a calcium deficiency, you know how people get calcium deposits on their finger nails? Just a guess...

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It happens. I've had plenty of pet quality silkies with that "issue". They are supposed to have black skin, but often on the lighter skinned ones the tip of their big middle toe will be white, and when they grow up, their skin turns the normal grey, but that toe nail usually stays white like a normal chicken. Nothing to worry about, just pigmentation distribution.

5. xxSonja

xxSonja Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Australia
    Ive had two unrelated cross breed hens with one different coloured toe on each foot (middle toe).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by