ONE: Two of these girls, what breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chicken_Pauper, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    I bought these two girls, "sisters", "heavy laying pullets", no breed listed, at the feed store, via Ideal Hatchery.

I have ruled out some breeds based on the features, comb, etc. My guess now is a hatchery attempt at Rhode Island Whites that "failed" at the White part? They both have red and white, so....
    unless there is a new breed mix that I am not familiar with, highly possible....

What do you think? What breed are these two girls... (pictures of one, they are pretty identical):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Click to enlarge and get a better view... Thank you!!

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Commercial layer. Not a breed, whatever product name gets "attached" to them.

They look absolutely gorgeous and healthy.

3. maralpz2006

maralpz2006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    mississippi
    i have one like her
    [​IMG]

4. Chicken_Pauper

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    Thank you, I absolutely love them, and they just started to lay... they have to have RIR in them, they are a more mellow version of the RIRs in personality. Same comb...
    I have to say I'm very impressed with them.... they are strong, healthy, beautiful, both started laying on the same day.
    Thank you for the input, I appreciate it. And, thank you for the compliment, I also think they are beautiful and great chickens.
    "Red and White Layers".... works for me.

5. Chicken_Pauper

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    Looks familiar, and very pretty... I do just love them! Thanks.

6. Fred's Hens

Tetra Poultry and many other commercial breeding/genetics corporations make a version of this kind of layer for the industry. The makeup? Proprietary. These companies use lines of their own making and often blend four lines to make the final product. It's pretty common. We'd not really recognize any of those parent lines as being "breeds" any longer.

The bottom line is that such "tints" and other product names are up to the companies that create them.

These look spectacularly healthy and should be outstanding layers, as this is what they are bred to be.

Enjoy them. Here's a couple that will get to live the life of luxury in your coop.

7. Chicken_Pauper

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    Thank YOU, so much for all your input and information... they are very strong, healthy, beautiful... I am much more pleased with how these two have turned out than the "scraggly" Production White I have. These are lovely girls, with great personalities and I can highly recommend them as great flock layers (these are just starting to get the hang of laying, haven't hit the nest much yet, but look like daily layers) with good temperaments, and not noisy either. Thank you so much for your comments, all of them. Appreciated.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree with Fred, they're not a breed but production birds. I love their coloring, it's a nice change from a solid red bird! I wouldn't mind having some of that color in my flock....

9. SpringPeeper

SpringPeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2014
    Northern California
    They look to me like what Ideal sells as Golden Sex Links, other hatcheries as 'Amber Whites". The listed recipe is RIR rooster over RIW hens. Pretty mixed birds that lay really well, basically. They are very pretty.

10. Fred's Hens

Yeah, that's what the marketing says, "RIR over RIW", but the reality is that the hatcheries don't have either one. The "red" they use is a specialized red mix and the "white" that they use is a single combed white specialty bird designed to nick with red bird when hybridized. But, since there are no breed police going around issuing tickets for, how shall we say it? Stretched statements, the beat goes on. Shocking, I know, but not everything put on websites is factual. LOL

There are millions spent in R & D for these birds as the commercial laying houses consume billions of these top layers. If a backyarder wants eggs, eggs, and more eggs? These various and sundry commercial layers like Tetra Corp's Tint or Amber or ISA's Brown? They will lay you lots and lots of eggs in a big hurry. Generally, they're also rather nice and friendly birds as a bonus.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by