One, Two, or Three Roos? 3-month Blue Orps

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kmeverson, May 20, 2019.

1. kmeverson

kmeverson Hatching

May 20, 2019
    Hi all,
    First time raising backyard chickens. I was hoping for 4 pullets, but now I'm afraid I have 3 roos! They're (supposed to be) blue orpingtons who just turned 3 months old.

One of them (in a single-chicken photo with large comb and an upright tail) is almost definitely a roo -- he's always guarding the others and acting generally more aggressive, and we've heard him make little crowing sounds.

One of the others (alone in another photo, bent over on top of the coop ramp) is almost definitely a pullet. She has the a very small, light colored comb, and none of her behaviors or saddle feathers or anything else point to roo.

However, we can't decide if the two others (shown together in the last photo) are roosters too? Both of them have a mix of pullet and roo features! Medium-sized/medium-colored combs and wattles. The one in front has a bigger wattle on one side but almost no wattle on the other.

We've noticed that two of them (the rooster and the unsexed chicken in the front of the photo) have more of a speckled/barred coloration on their neck and saddle feathers, while the other two are more uniformly gray. Is this an indication of sex?

We've also noticed that the roo holds his tail upright and his tail feathers seem a little more curved and short. Is this an indicator?

Thanks for your thoughts! IMG_0471.jpg IMG_0472.jpg IMG_0473.jpg

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Puppy Dreaming

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I see all boys. Not blue Orpingtons as yours have yellow legs and some barring. They look mixed breed to me.

3. crazy4ChickensNducks

crazy4ChickensNducks Songster

Dec 16, 2018
    west, michigan
    3 saphire gem cockerels

4. chrissynemetz

chrissynemetz Free Ranging

Dec 19, 2013
    Olathe Colorado
    Can you get a better picture of the one on the ramp? I believe the others are all cockerels.
    And I agree, I don't think they're Orpingtons. They're very pretty though whatever they are! :)

5. Fairyloop5

Fairyloop5 Songster

May 3, 2019
    The way you describe them sounds like Roos. The barring means it’s most likely mixed. Maybe with barred Plymouth Rock, or Dominique. But no sure way to tell.

6. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Free Ranging

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    where did you get them?? I agree the one on the ramp needs a better pic, and I also agree with @crazy4ChickensNducks that the three obvious cockerels, with the light barring, are sapphire gem cockerels.

ClucksAndCombs likes this.
  7. ClucksAndCombs

ClucksAndCombs Free Ranging

Apr 19, 2018
    New England
    First two look like cockerels. The 3rd one might need a better picture, but I'll say roo for now.

8. kmeverson

kmeverson Hatching

May 20, 2019
    Well, sounds like the consensus is three roos -- and that they're definitely not blue orps! I got them as week-old chicks from a kid in central Kentucky. Oh well! I was happy to support the kid and they've been fun to raise so far, anyway :)

As requested, here is a close-up shot of the one I think is a pullet, standing to the left of one of the roos. Think this one is a roo too?

I've also added a headshot of the chicken in the back of the previous photo, because the last poster said a better pic might be needed. You can see the comb is a little bit lighter pink, but still pretty big. My guess now is still roo.
    IMG_0470.jpg IMG_0469.jpg

chrissynemetz likes this.
  9. crazy4ChickensNducks

crazy4ChickensNducks Songster

Dec 16, 2018
    west, michigan
    I say pullet!

10. cstephens1987

cstephens1987 Songster

Apr 25, 2019
    Fourth looks like a pullet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: