One UGLY Egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Denninmi, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Obviously, anyone who keeps hens gets the random "freak" egg --misshapen or thin shelled or whatever. This is the ugliest egg I've gotten to date:

[​IMG]

It was perfectly fine inside, as I suspected it would be -- I didn't think a shell deformity would affect the yolk or white, since each part comes from it's very own place on the assembly line:

[​IMG]

THIS was its fate -- I just threw it into the loaf of caraway rye bread I baked last night:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    That is an ugly egg!

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Rats! The pic is down. I wanted to see the ugly egg!

4. Denninmi

Jul 26, 2009
    Quote:I'm sorry -- it seems to still appear on my computer as I pulled up this thread.

Too funny -- I went to photobucket and there is a red box that says "This image violated our terms of use"

I think they thought it was something other than an egg. Yikes!

I uploaded it directly to the the backyard chickens site. I would imagine they wouldn't be so uptight about a deformed egg!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  5. penut1799

penut1799 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2010
    North Fort Myers, FL
    Ewwwwww..... that is one ugly egg!!!

6. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    Quote:I'm sorry -- it seems to still appear on my computer as I pulled up this thread.

Too funny -- I went to photoshop and there is a red box that says "This image violated our terms of use"

I think they thought it was something other than an egg. Yikes!

I uploaded it directly to the the backyard chickens site. I would imagine they wouldn't be so uptight about a deformed egg!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/37705_101_1155.jpg

[​IMG]

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    That is one pale yolk, is what I'd say. [​IMG]

Still, always nice to see the ugly eggs go to a good use.

8. Denninmi

Jul 26, 2009
    Quote:I don't think it was quite as pale in real life -- the flash washed it out a bit.

But yes, the yolks aren't as orange as they were in the summer and fall when I had more produce to give them Now, they basically just get the table scraps, which isn't a lot in a small household.

9. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Ewww, that IS a funky-lookin' egg! Do you know what kind of hen laid it? Maybe when she was half-way through, something scared her. That's what always comes to my mind when I see funky eggs like that.

10. moonlyghtegirl

moonlyghtegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Pretty funky, thanks for sharing! Makes me feel a lot better about my wrinkled eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by