One unhappy newbie

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Daviszero, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Daviszero

Daviszero New Egg

Mar 21, 2012
    Hey everyone, just started my chickens about a month ago, bought ten pullets and five straight run, got a free one with a broke leg, I've lost about half of them by now I know my dog got one, I got rid of the dog, but now I'm pretty sure a hawk got the rest, I see it every now and then, I'm furious because the only ones still alive are my straight run, broke foot, who healed up nicely btw, and only three pullets, and I believe I have four cockerels out of the bunch, do I need to go on a killing spree or what? After I get rid of the cockerels I dont want I might have five chickens left!

2. Nickichicki

Nickichicki Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2012
    Isanti Minnesota
    sounds like you need to secure a safe enviroment for the remaining chicks. Sorry to hear of the loss but glad you broke leg chick healed well!![​IMG]

3. onebigglo1

onebigglo1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2011
    Someone told me it was illegal to kill a hawk in my area so you might want to check your area before you get the gun out.

1 person likes this.
  4. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    Sounds like you need to put them in a run with covering overhead. You'd probably go to jail longer for killing a hawk or owl then a person nowadays. You bought all pullets so i think they are young. If there isn't a older chicken telling them to run when danger is close there's not much you can do. They one's that are alive probably figured it out.

1 person likes this.
  5. Daviszero

Daviszero New Egg

Mar 21, 2012
    My wife's ducks took over watching them, so they run and hide at any movement, strangely, I just went out to check and one is miraculously back with the others, idk how she got back in but she did, it was my wife's too so she's happy, as far as killing the hawk I was told if they are harming your livestock (ie chicken flocks) you can legally shoot them, I live in east Texas so there are a ton of red tail hawks in the area

6. heidihas2ducks

heidihas2ducks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I lost my absolute favorite sweet baby duck at 8 weeks to a dastardly Red tailed Hawk and I also was told that if they are preynig on your flock (as long as you are zoned a farm or ag)...you can shoot them without reprocussion...personally...the way I see it, If you kill a hawk and no one knows about it and your babies are safe...(I now keep my little ones in an enclosure with overhead cover ) how is anyone going to prosecute you? As long as you are being a responsible Chicken/duck owner and providing them with a safe home, you have every right to protect them...as far as I am concerned! Good luck...and cover up those babies if you can!

7. Daviszero

Daviszero New Egg

Mar 21, 2012
    The one that my wife loves so much I'm trying to identify, she has a yellow head with a black dot in top, she has a black back and white underbelly and pin feathers, I don't think she is a cross because I've seen other pics of the same breed her legs are orange, I can't post a pic cause I'm on my iPhone and we can't get Internet where we live

8. Daviszero

Daviszero New Egg

Mar 21, 2012
    She looked like an Ancona chick when she was a little one

9. InMySanctuary

InMySanctuary New Egg

Apr 16, 2012
    No offense meant, but shooting hawks because the chickens are not provided with a properly protected run is TERRIBLE. We had some neighour's who shot hawks because they couldn't be bothered going to the effort of protecting their flock. Or... now get this... because they ate their puppie's dog biscuits!!!

Our chicken run was covered on the top and when the hens had their chicks outside of it, I always stayed outside to keep an eye on them. Our flock were the only ones in the neighbourhood that had a covered run, with a coop that can be shut at night, with a fence that was buried into the ground with logs on top. In 10 years we never lost a single bird to hawks, foxes or goannas (Australia) but our neighbours did lose birds regularly to these predators.

Hawks are magnificent hunters and it is our fault if they eat our stock not theirs. PLEASE do not shoot those hawks as you can live in harmony with them. Like I said, no offense meant but it makes my heart bleed to see diminishing populations of wild life slaughtered needlessly.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  10. SunkissedChicks

SunkissedChicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2012
    I was worried about the Red Tail Hawks so over the weekend I purchased two Bourbon Red Turkeys apparently they are the best flock protectors going.
    My neighbors that have them have no lost one bird ever due to the Turkeys. They are so cute and Bourbon Reds are very intelligent and very friendly.
    I have 26 chicks coming next week and I don't want to lose any. I have invested 2K into my chicken house. I didn't want our yard to look like a farm. Here is also a photo of our coop, it is half completed. [​IMG]

Here are photos of my poults. I believe I have a Hen and a Tom.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by