One very angry bird, the other one depressed.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RichnSteph, Oct 24, 2014.

1. RichnSteph

RichnSteph Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Adkins Texas
    Two of the birds in our mixed flock have had a sudden change in behavior. One of them is now such a mean little thing to all the others that I've considered eating her out of spite. The other one has gone the opposite direction and just sort of walks around with her head down looking all depressed. The two chickens have never been in with others until now, they also had free range of almost an acre of land up until we put them in a 20x30 fenced run. The run is just temporary until I can save up the money to have our property fenced then they'll all go to free ranging.

Is there anything I can do to help the birds adapt or is it just going to take time?

RichnSteph

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Their behavior changes are probably because they were introduced into a larger flock, and have had to get used to a new pecking order. Some hens, like your aggressive hen, respond to such changes by dominating all of the others (or at least trying too). Your depressed hen is probably low in the pecking order, and is acting so droopy because she doesn't want to attract attention and get attacked.

There is nothing you can really do to help them adapt other than watch closely for more severe bullying (causing injury, etc.) and try to give them as much space as possible. In time, both birds may revert to their previous behavior, or not.

I would be sure to check your depressed chicken over closely, looking for any abnormalities (swelling, discharge, etc.). Her droopiness may also be due to disease.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by