one very silly question...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Luke0987654321, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Luke0987654321

Luke0987654321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Spain
    hi
    i have a broody hen whith seven eggs under her that are due to hatch on tuesday...
    and i was wondering, how long will she stay on the nest for to make sure all of the chicks hatch????รง

thanks in advance

luke.

2. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    after 48 hours or so from the fiurst chich hatching I would remove any eggs that did not hatch and candle them. if they are developed put them in the bator if not just toss them. You dont want the broody to keep sitting once the hatch has finished or after 48 hours or 72 at the most.

good luck [​IMG]

3. Luke0987654321

Luke0987654321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Spain
    ok thanks!
    that helped

[​IMG]
    luke

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It is a little hard to say exactly. I think it will depend a lot on the individual hen. I would suggest leaving her alone and let her decide so you don't force a premature decision. I did that once and she left several good eggs unhatched. Sometimes, you can observe a hen talking to her chicks while they are still in the shell, before they hatch. I'm sure she has some way of being able to tell the right time to leave, but different hens have different broody instincts. And sometimes they do leave viable eggs behind when thye come off.

Chicks can survive two or usually three days without food or water after they hatch, so she does not have to be in a hurry. It has been a lot of years since I had a broody hatch, but I seem to remember it usually was around 24 hours after they started hatching, possibly more depending on nighttime and what time of day they started.

5. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    As long as the egg is good, the hen will set on it. Once the egg goes bad the hen will push it out of the nest. This may happen long before the eggs are suppose to hatch. Mother Nature gave her a special sense about the eggs she is hatching. Even if there are eggs yet to hatch she may take her chicks for something to eat and a drink. Be sure the new chicks can get back in the nest. I have a little ramp the chicks can walk up to get back in the nest. Some people just put the haen and chicks on the floor and a warm corner of the coop. Don't worry about any of the other hens, the mama will teach them to stay away soon enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by