One week old chick....eye closed, neck drawn up, need advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mac Momma, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Mac Momma

Mac Momma Crabgrass Queen

Apr 27, 2008
    North Georgia
    Chick is one week old barred rock (one of nine) who is just inactive today with head tucked in and one eye closed. she seems to have some labored breathing. I have searched as much as I can right now given I am trying to administer poly vi sol and watered down scrambled egg. She will not eat on her own but will sip a little from an eye dropper. Any suggestions?

2. Mac Momma

Apr 27, 2008
    North Georgia
    Anybody?

3. Mac Momma

Apr 27, 2008
    North Georgia
    Must go to work now.....

4. 4hooves&featheredfriends

4hooves&featheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I just woke up and found your post. I probably sound like a broken record but I really think the Poultry Nutri-drench, that can be purchased at a Pet or Grain store is great for weak little fuzzy butts. You can use it full strength by placing a couple of drops on the end of their beak or put some in a flat dish and dip their beak.

I sometimes isolate the baby with a little stuffed animal so they don't get trampled. Be careful with the eye dropper as fluid can sometimes get into their nostrils and then cause breathing issues or aspiration.

Scrambled egg is very good for weak babies.

Please update us - they are sometimes just too fragile and stressed but I am hoping this one has a strong will to live.

5. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Just woke up and found your post as well. Sorry, I don't know how to help. [​IMG] [​IMG] But here's a bump for your thread, and hopefully someone else can help! [​IMG]

Good luck! [​IMG]

6. Mac Momma

Apr 27, 2008
    North Georgia
    Thanks. I hope she makes it until I can get back to her. I am a teacher and we have state testing, so no chirping chicks in my class today. I will probably go home and get during lunch and keep her with me. I know that this happens, but I can;t believe how quickly! They were all so healthy looking last night!

7. Mac Momma

Apr 27, 2008
    North Georgia
    I am just letting the front of te droper touch her beak and she sort of gets the drop from there. I am too afraid to open her mouth and cause her to aspirate!

ETA: I will go get some of the Nourish stuff suggested.....thanks!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  8. Mac Momma

Apr 27, 2008
    North Georgia
    Chick just died. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by