one week old chick not growing

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by harris farm, Sep 29, 2010.

1. harris farm

harris farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Louisiana
    1 out of my 6 hatched chicks are not growing. I had to help it out of the shell. Now it is not even half the size of the other chicks that hatched at the same time. Is something wrong with the chick? Will it be normal?

2. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

What kind of chicks are they? Is it possible that you have a bantam?

3. harris farm

harris farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Louisiana
    They are all barred rocks

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I had 1 barred rock that I got the 6 from a lady that were all hatched at the same time. I got them at 10 days and Penguin was noticeably smaller. He is 16 weeks old now and still smaller than the others. Not bantam small just smaller. He is healthy and spunky altogether normal just smaller. I think he will always be this way and thats ok. My other roo his brother doesnt pick on him although Penguin will sometimes try to start with Lindy. Lindy will just peck him on the head once and its over with.

5. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Shella - I have a (button quail) chick that's named penguin, too! How strange!

I have a button quail that's the same way. It's much smaller than it should be for its age. In fact, the chick that's only 24 hours apart in age is nearly twice its size, as are the ones that are 3 days older. However, it is growing - just very slowly. It's fully feathered out and acts just like a normal button quail chick. It seems healthy, just small. Some of my birds do lay smaller eggs. It's possible it was from one of those. It also was slightly younger than the other chick that it is with. However, it's kept up with the other one from the first HOURS after it was hatched.

At first I worried about her but she's doing well. Her name is (suitably) Itsy Bitsy. Her cagemate sibling is Penguin. (They'll be separated later to be with mates.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by