ONE WEEK OLD JUMBO CORNISH X ROCKS DIET

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by momto2, May 23, 2008.

1. momto2

momto2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Northern Maine
    MY ONE WEEK OLD JUMBOS ARE ON STARTER FEED, BUT THEY ARE JUST PICKING THE CRACKED CORN AND LEAVING THE REST. SO I HAVE TO DUMP OUT ALL THE OTHER FEED AND GIVE THEM NEW FEED SO THEY CAN AGAIN JUST EAT THE CORN. IS IT TOO EARLY TO GIVE THEM ANY OTHER FEED??

2. LazyGirl

LazyGirl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2007
    my layer do the same thing, because corn is their idea of candy.[​IMG]
    If you leave the powder ground stuff, they will eventually eat it. They are like kids, they'll try to hold out for the junk, but don't give in! They need the rest for the nutrients. They will eat it after a couple hrs.

3. momto2

May 15, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Thanks, that's makes a lot of sense!!!!

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    You need to get them on a broiler starter/finisher ASAP, or a generic chick starter. Cracked corn is far too low in protein to be considered a feed and their bodies will develop structural abnormalities if you don't get them enough protein. Cornish Crosses have enough problems as it is, don't make it worse by under-nourishing them.

5. momto2

May 15, 2008
    Northern Maine
    They are currently on the chick starter feed.

6. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    My Cornish X was on starter feed until yesterday but the starter feed I had didn't have corn in it. Or, if it did, it wasn't obvious. All pieces of the mash were the same size, shape, color, and texture. Maybe you should switch brands or type?

I changed my Cornish X to Triple Duty feed, kind of a diet food of sorts and I let her free range a couple of times a day. She was never for food and she's become a beloved part of our family.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by