One Week old Polish chick acting weak and tired.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hegatha, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Hegatha

Hegatha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Washington
    My one week old polish chick seems to be really weak and slugish. Checked its crop and its got stuff in there but all the other chicks are really active and got nuts when I feed them bread every moring this one just seem to want to lay under the light all the time? Any suggestions?
    Thanks

2. RichardR

RichardR Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2010
    Anderson Indiana
    Has she been drinking? I just recently had a chick who was listless & tired all of the time, so I started dipping her beak & making her drink water every time I checked the brooder and after a couple of days she perked up & there has been no problems since.

3. sunshineyarns

sunshineyarns Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Hmm --- My maran was acting tired and sluggish the day after we got her (at about 5 days old). She wouldn't eat much and came to us with some pasty butt that I cleaned up. We gave ours yogurt twice a day, just a little bit and that seems to get her out of her rut. Maybe try that? I dip my finger in just a tiny bit of plain yogurt and then dip it heavily in their starter food. I'm read that you can try sugar water too?

4. Hegatha

Mar 13, 2011
    Washington
    No pasty butt and yes I dipped its beak in the water and I watched it thrity mins later get up and get some on its own. I have had it 8 days now. Maybe it just needs more water.

5. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    We always wonder what it could be that is wrong with our chicks when they head down that road. I have lost a few already this year that were acting just perfect and perky one time I check them and the next they are laying there gasping. I don't know what it is, but if I can get them on their feet again, I give them a drop of PolyViSol (without iron) and make sure they drink and isolate them. I find that a Kleenex box works well for one chick, and I put it in the brooder with the other chicks so it can here them and isn't so lonely. Some recover, some don't. It is depressing and discouraging, but not all chicks are meant to survive and most that have some weakness perish in the first week.
    I hope you can nurture yours back to health though.
    Good luck.

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Try offering a wet mash from feed.

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Is it getting any grit? That needs to be included since you are feeding bread at this young an age. Personally? I don't like feeding bread to chicks, empty calories. Also, is this one getting enough food and water? Chicks can be very competetive.

Check your brooder temp at chick level, too, it can matter more to some breeds.

Good luck, hope it gets better!

8. Hegatha

Mar 13, 2011
    Washington
    I feed the purina chick starter and this moring i gave some hard boiled eggs. Its eating and drinking but just seems weak maybe its just me. Ill keep Watching it.

9. Hegatha

Mar 13, 2011
    Washington
    Update chick has been eating and drinking and seems to have more energy hoping it turns out all okay!

10. Hegatha

Mar 13, 2011
    Washington
    Okay so this chick is still alive still eating drinking but still doesnt seem to be gaining any weight and not heavy at all when picked up. He does hold his wings wierd I noticed he doesnt hold to his body tight? Any ideas still seems a little weak but does run and move when I put my hand in there to get him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by