one week old ts pullets

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by steph0601, Feb 24, 2015.

1. steph0601

steph0601 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2014
    So I went to Tractor Supply to pick up a few things and was immediately drawn to the chicks, I mean seriously I just can't resist. We have 15 hens and 1 rooster already and have been itching for more pullets. The lady at tractor supply tried to tell me that I couldn't pick and I got what she gave me, well the fist 4 she picked all had pretty awful pasty butt, when I told her no,and why I wanted different ones, she had no clue why I was protesting. Haha I told her things would go much faster if i just picked them myself. Well she let me and gave me the stink eye the whole time. :) I don't care I got the ones I wanted. I came home with 12. 4 are red sex link which I'm excited about, we have 5 right now and they are my best layer. But these 2 babies are a mystery to me. We have 3 of the white ones and they have very faint black spots, maybe like 5 or so spots per chick. Also the wings are coming in pure white.The black one has brown/black wing feathers coming in. They aren't barred, it's more of a sprinkling of black and brown. Any guesses?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Hmmm...I'm not sure.

My first thought was a White Rock...but is that a pea comb? (I can't tell in the photo as I can't see it good enough)...might be a cushion comb??? If so possible Chantecler. Most likely it is a White Rock though.

The dark chick, first thought was Gold Laced Wyandotte, but it has a single comb...so not that unless poor hatchery quality and doesn't have the rose comb. Second thought was Partridge Rock...but not really good example of that. I'll guess Partridge Rock for now.

Be interesting to see what others say.

Lady of McCamley

3. steph0601

Jan 15, 2014
    White Rock was my guess for the white girls too. I know there is a hatchery production chick out there that the adult is white with few spots but I can't remember the name. I wanna say it was star something. Thanks for your guesses, and yes both have the single comb

4. steph0601

Jan 15, 2014
    Did some research I think the white ones are California white chicks, anyone have these chickens and can look. It's hard to see the spots my camera kinda blasted them out. But you can see one on the head

5. Spangled

Spangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley
    I agree with you, Steph0601, on the California Whites. It could be AustraWhites (Australorp X Leghorn), but I don't think too many hatcheries carry them. Our TSC used to order from Privett and Privett carries both the California Whites and the AustraWhites. So, who knows where your TSC orders from. I think some order from Mt. Healthy. I've had AustraWhites and thought they were great, but the egg size was a little smaller than a regular "White Leghorn." But that's just one person's experience which doesn't count for much in the grand scheme of things.

Once I got a little brown chick that looked like yours, and it ended up being a poorly market Golden Campine ... as in it was hetero for ... Pattern Gene, I think it was. I can't remember. It ended up being basically laced instead of barred (autosomal) which is what Golden Campines are ... autosomal barred. The lacing didn't show up for a few weeks. Great layer! Well, mine was. I don't think they are all great these days. 5 or 6 a week! Chances that your chick is a poorly bred Golden Campine as mine was is practically nil, though. Pretty chick!

6. steph0601

Jan 15, 2014
    The "brown chick" isn't brown though it's black With a slightly lighter chest and stomach, and the face is a reddish brown tint. I know the picture is a bit off, bad indoor lighting I guess.

7. steph0601

Jan 15, 2014
    [​IMG]

Check in... 3-4 weeks old. Anyone know what I have here?

8. Spangled

Spangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley
    1 person likes this.
  9. steph0601

Jan 15, 2014
    Here we are at 4 weeks. The coloring is coming in really cool. Any ideas yet?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Annjee

Annjee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2015
    Lancaster, Pa
    I have actually been watching these at my tractor supply. If these were in the bantam bin, I was told they were sebrights. In ours it has become obvious now: gold and silver. However, I was stumped that there were some solid white. The employee told me she thought they were silkies, but there were no feathers on the feet nor 5 toes or dark skin. I am wondering if it's the breeding I read on here from a buff and another seabright color that said offspring can be white. Anyway, picking up a couple today, now that there are some other options. If yours are sebrights,[​IMG] I have heard great things about them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by