1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One wont crow, they all want one hen...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rooaroo, Oct 8, 2011.

1. rooaroo

rooaroo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2011
    I have 6 chickens....this summer I found out I pulled 3 roosters from those 6. Whatever....we are getting along...not every part of the day but for the most part everyone out there is ok. There is a pecking order for both the men and women. My biggest boy Miranda, a Buff, is the one in charge out there, his brother Sugar sticks with him for protection from my other Roo Aurora...an Americauna. Yes they still carry their girl names since that is what they are suppose to be. Anyway...They all use to crow, this is how I knew they were Roos. Sugar doesn't crow. He is at the bottom of the barrel, even wont go in the house part of the coop at night sometimes because he is being bossed around. Will he ever crow and did he stop because he is at the bottom of the list? He sometimes makes like a low growling sound and usually when he see's another Roo mating with a hen. Also Miranda, the big boy sounds like he is gargling at the same time he is crowing, is this normal? I just was wondering....I am sure they are all fine!

My other question is they all want one hen. I have two Golden Wynadottes (Belle and Gilly) and one Americauna (Lady). Lady is a great bird and is my favorite. The other girls stick together, as they always have, and will sometimes chase her away from treats or other food. She is at the bottom, she is also the one the boys seem to always want to mate. They only jump on her, chase each other off to get to her, I NEVER see them on the other girls. Is there a reason for this? I just found their first eggs this morning. I know they are all feeling sexually active since they are laying but why with only one?

I tried to search this already, I am sure I am not using the right words but I appreciate any help and thank you! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2011
  2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I have 6 chickens....this summer I found out I pulled 3 roosters from those 6. Whatever....we are getting along...not every part of the day but for the most part everyone out there is ok. There is a pecking order for both the men and women. My biggest boy Miranda, a Buff, is the one in charge out there, his brother Sugar sticks with him for protection from my other Roo Aurora...an Americauna. Yes they still carry their girl names since that is what they are suppose to be. Anyway...They all use to crow, this is how I knew they were Roos. Sugar doesn't crow. He is at the bottom of the barrel, even wont go in the house part of the coop at night sometimes because he is being bossed around. Will he ever crow and did he stop because he is at the bottom of the list? He sometimes makes like a low growling sound and usually when he see's another Roo mating with a hen. Also Miranda, the big boy sounds like he is gargling at the same time he is crowing, is this normal? I just was wondering....I am sure they are all fine!

My other question is they all want one hen. I have two Golden Wynadottes (Belle and Gilly) and one Americauna (Lady). Lady is a great bird and is my favorite. The other girls stick together, as they always have, and will sometimes chase her away from treats or other food. She is at the bottom, she is also the one the boys seem to always want to mate. They only jump on her, chase each other off to get to her, I NEVER see them on the other girls. Is there a reason for this? I just found their first eggs this morning. I know they are all feeling sexually active since they are laying but why with only one?

I tried to search this already, I am sure I am not using the right words but I appreciate any help and thank you! [​IMG]

You have to many roos, and not enough hens. I would re-home or eat 2 of the roos. The other option would be to create separate housing for all the boys. A bachelor pen, or 3 pens one for each boy and a hen I would the get at least another 2 hens for each roo. It's simply easier to lose 2 of the roos.

And you could look into a saddle for the hen that is the boys favorite.​

3. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

You are going to have problems with Lady's back because she will lose her feathers there because of over breeding which is very unfair to her.Sometimes a rooster will have a favorite and Lady must be the one.

A general rule is 10 hens per rooster. The best you can do for your chickens is re home 2 roosters or get a lot more hens. Do you have a place big enough to do that? If not you will have crowding problems.

It is common when there is more than one rooster for there to be a head rooster in which case the others may not crow.​

4. justbugged

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Oh it is completely normal that the least dominate roo to not do a lot of crowing. I had 3 roos from this years chicks. Yet only one roo at at time has crowed. As I have gotten rid of the dominate crowing roo, the next in line then begins to crow. All the submissive roos have stayed quite for the most part.

For me given that I live in a sub-division neighborhood, I don't want, and can't have any roos. We are just to close to to many other houses, and I don't want anyone complaining about my animals. I have way more animals than I am allowed by law. This only works because we work very hard at keeping things clean and the noise down. [​IMG]

5. justbugged

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    PS [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by